What am I missing?

Hello, I have searched this subject over and over, & thought I had it figured out, until I poured the candles. I am using straight sided jars that hold 5.8 oz to the fill line, and a small jelly jar that holds 3.2 oz to the fill line. I use 6 % FO, & I wanted to pour 2 larger jars & one jj. So, I took 5.8x2, then added 3.2, then I took 6% of that & subtracted my FO from my wax. 14.8 oz of wax, minus just under 1 oz of FO. My problem is when I go to pour the jj, I don't have enough wax to fill it. :sad2: I'm sorry for the rambling post, & I appreciate if you could point out what I am doing wrong. Thanks!!

I think the problem is you may be mixing up liquid (volume) measure with weight. WEIGH the amount of water needed to fill the container to the fill line. It will be a little off because water is heavier than wax, but it'll be close. HTH

Edited by Stella1952

I've thought about making tarts if I have extra, just because it would be nice to have some on hand, but wasn't sure about my wax. (c-3) Also, 6% probably isn't enough FO for tarts? I have no idea. I should start reading about that. :smiley2:

I've thought about making tarts if I have extra, just because it would be nice to have some on hand, but wasn't sure about my wax. (c-3) Also, 6% probably isn't enough FO for tarts? I have no idea. I should start reading about that. :smiley2:

I tried C-3 so long ago I can't remember the throw. I can say most containers I've used produce some nice smelling tarts at regular container usage amounts. I thought it might be because it was softer. Not sure if that makes a difference. I put them in polypro bags with a twistie tie and toss in the cabinet saving the right-way-made tarts for customers/family/friends. :)

Well, it looks like I have some reading to do & clamshells to buy! Sounds like fun! Thanks guys! It'll be a good way to use any leftovers, & give it a try. I thought about making clamshell tarts in the future, but I didn't want to have to worry about a different wax now. Good to know I can give the c-3 a try. Thanks again!:cheesy2:

Good to know I can give the c-3 a try

Never be afraid to experiment!! You can try anything - whether it works out the way you want is another matter. I don't want to keep more wax types than is necessary, so I find ways to work with what I have. As I mentioned previously, container waxes can be hardened up by adding a little pillar palm wax, stearic acid, beeswax, etc. all of which I have on hand. For me, the C3 even comes out of molds nicely, but if I carried them to a show in the warm climate we have down here, they would soften and become "shopworn" very quickly.