Another newbie question....

Ok , my 4oz jelly jar candle is not giving off a good throw where it was located(Big open area). I moved the candle to a smaller room and I could then smell it. My question is, would changine my jar to a wide mouth jar and increasing the melt pool help me out with my hot throw in a larger room? GGGGRRRRRRRR!!!!! and here I thought this was gonna be easy :)

I truly appreciate all the info you guys give , w/o you guys I would not even be as far along as I am in this addicting hobby and hopefully one day business which is my ultimate goal. Not a full time job just something to help maybe pay the bills :)

Thanks again guys and gals.....

Edited by darrell

Yes, increasing the jar opening and the melt pool would give more throw (provided its wicked correctly). A 4 oz 3-inch diameter jar will throw exactly the same as an 8 oz 3-inch diameter jar. True the larger the jar the larger the opening usually is, but the reality is it's all about the melt pool diameter, not jar volume.

It could be either your FO, as Chris suggested, or the wick type/size you are using. A 4 oz. container is plenty large enough to fill my living room/dining room combination (10 ft. ceilings). However, you did not mention the type wax you are using, the FO & amount used, temp at which the FO was added or the wick type/size, so none of us can do much but guess... The details make a difference.

Sorry but I think it's your FO, not so much the size of the candle. A votive will scent my wide open, vaulted ceiling living room, so your 4 oz. should definately fill your large room.

Wow, I want to use what you're using then! :)

It could be either your FO, as Chris suggested, or the wick type/size you are using. A 4 oz. container is plenty large enough to fill my living room/dining room combination (10 ft. ceilings). However, you did not mention the type wax you are using, the FO & amount used, temp at which the FO was added or the wick type/size, so none of us can do much but guess... The details make a difference.

Here ya on that Stella but when I moved my candle to a smaller room 10 x 10 i could smell it great. I went through this one on one of my other posts but I had the candle on the ledge in my kitchen that opens to my dining room that has stairs that go up :) so it's a huge open layout. Honestly , when I went to the top of the stairs I could smell it better than downstairs.

The wax that I am using is 4627 comfort blend in a 4oz jelly jar. I am pretty confident in the FO and got a really nice melt pool from my wick . I am going to try an 8oz wide mouth Ball Jar right now . I gotta say that I am a little confused on wicking and I know a lot of it is trial and error but are you wicking for the opening size or the widest part of the jar ? On Candle Science wick chart they give you the option of 3 - 3.5 Diamter and 3.5 to 4.0 diamter. I am not sure what those two numbers represent .

Thanks again for everyones help....

Let me try to offer some advice. First, the air flow in your home makes a ton of difference. So, consider burning in another part of the room. Second, find one spot that you like to test burn your candles. Always burn them in that spot. After 30 min how big a melt pool is there. and how deep. how are the wick(s) looking. After and hour, same thing. Two hours, ditto. Do this for every jar type, FO, wick, etc. Same spot. This gives you consistentcy. A well designed votive can easily cover the area you are talking about ( I agree with Chris). The FO can make a difference. Strong ones cover easier. But you need a benchmark to compare every burn to. HTH

Let me try to offer some advice. First, the air flow in your home makes a ton of difference. So, consider burning in another part of the room. Second, find one spot that you like to test burn your candles. Always burn them in that spot. After 30 min how big a melt pool is there. and how deep. how are the wick(s) looking. After and hour, same thing. Two hours, ditto. Do this for every jar type, FO, wick, etc. Same spot. This gives you consistentcy. A well designed votive can easily cover the area you are talking about ( I agree with Chris). The FO can make a difference. Strong ones cover easier. But you need a benchmark to compare every burn to. HTH

David thanks for the advise I will take all I can get. I recall reading a thread that someone tested them in the bathroom which almost seems a little small to me. I think umma consistantly burn them in my master bedroom which is about a 20x30 room, that way i can speak with confidence and tell folks that in this size room it will knock your socks off :)