My candles shrink and get wet spots during transport in cold weather

Hi everyone

After many weeks of testing I finnaly make beautiful soy candles. I make my candles in glass containers, using CB-Xcel, they look great, with now wet spots etc. But while the weather is going down and reaches temperatures less than 5 degrees (40 Farenheit) I have problem with transporting them to my costumers. Low temperatures cousees shrinking and wet spots on the glass. Do you have any idea how to solve this problem? Maybe you get you packages/parcels wormer somehow or you add something for making wax more cold resist?

I'm waiting for answers :smiley2:

Best regards

Edited by Thaiphoon

Are they actually wet spots or is it just pull away from the jars (where it may look like a wet spot)? There are waxes that do pull away some and there's nothing that can be done about it (not that I'm aware of anyway). Next time your in the store take a look at some of the jar candles being sold. Almost everyone I see from numerous companies, even Yankee, have it. Most customers don't seem to care about it. They want an awesome smelling candle that burns correctly. As for temperature there's really nothing that can be done about it. When candles are shipped out they are going out to the temps, sitting on a truck or in a sorting facility where the cold or hot temps are going to affect your package. Sure you can heat your package and all it's packing contents before you ship it out but it's not going to contain the warmth for very long. Sorry to say but it's like beating a dead horse.

Thank you for reply pleasureridgecandles :)

"Are they actually wet spots or is it just pull away from the jars (where it may look like a wet spot)?"

I thought that it is the same... Could you explain the differences? In my situation the wax pulls away from the jar, but after the contact with cold weather. Before that, in my workshop candles look perfect.

"Next time your in the store take a look at some of the jar candles being sold. Almost everyone I see from numerous companies, even Yankee, have it."

Yes I notice that, but you know, I wish to had perfect candle, not with defect like others.

"Most customers don't seem to care about it."

I hope it will last forever :)

"As for temperature there's really nothing that can be done about it."

I think you have right. My only idea is to fill the package with foamed polystyrene but against very low temperatures it will not pass the exam.

Thank you :)

Best wishes

not with defect like others

This is not a "defect" in the candle - it is a cosmetic issue that does not affect how the candle burns or scents. While I understand your striving for perfection, there is no such thing and this is not considered a flaw so much as an annoyance.

"Are they actually wet spots or is it just pull away from the jars (where it may look like a wet spot)?"

I thought that it is the same... Could you explain the differences?

You are correct, taiphoon - "pullaway" and "wet spots" are terms which refer to the same thing. A "wet spot" is an optical illusion created when the wax pulls away from the glass. Cleaning the glassware in HOT water with original Dawn dishwashing liquid or Parson's Sudsy Ammonia, rinsing in HOT water, then allowing to air dry upside down will help reduce the incidence by giving the wax a clean surface to adhere. Thermal changes, most often cold temperatures, cause the wax to shrink more than the glass (because the two substances have different rates of expansion/contraction). The only solution is to store the candles at normal room temperatures. When transporting them, bubble wrap, heavy cardboard cartons, etc. are your best defense.

If droplets are forming on the surface of the candle, or worse, along the sides, this is NOT a "wet spot" - this is syneresis (sweating). It is caused when the wax molecules contract (or expand) and force the oil out of the wax. It is sometimes a sign that you have used more FO than the wax can hold, but not always. This happens frequently around the change of seasons. Unless the entire surface is covered with oil, one can either blot the droplets, or cover and see if the oil will reabsorb into the wax. Many times I have gone to bed with a cooled, perfect batch of candles, only to awaken to droplets on the surface due to the candles becoming too cool overnight. While this can happen at any time, it usually happens more to newly poured candles whose wax crystals have not fully hardened HTH.

Edited by Stella1952

Hi Stella

Thank You for answer, You really help me and make me calm :)

About wet spots...I don't have problem with them, I just keep poured candles in special cabinet built by myself.

I have one question...Parson's Sudsy Ammonia is just simple dish soap?

Best regards :)

I have one question...Parson's Sudsy Ammonia is just simple dish soap?

Best regards :)

It is a detergent that also contains Ammonium Hydroxide. Just as a word of precaution, mixing bleach and ammonia is extremely dangerous, since toxic vapors will be produced. Not that you'd do that but I just thought I would mention it

It is household ammonia that has a small amount of detergent mixed in. It is a fantastic grease cutter and is used to clean glass, stoves, ovens, filters for exhaust fans, vehicle wheels, etc. - any greasy, gummy dirt. Definitely do NOT mix with any other household cleaner which may form chlorine gas.