Bought my Kit!!

Ok so I'm super excited! I bought my first soy wax candle kit yesterday, but I wont receive it for a few days since I ordered it online. I have been reading a little and thought the soy wax would be a good first choice for a beginner like myself, considering I haven't a clue lol.

I also went ahead and purchased some nice molds. I can't wait to dig and get started! I crochet for a living and really want to add something different! So I'm crossing my fingers that I'm able to make something pretty that smells nice.

Would anyone like give any advice for a beginner? Anything important I need to know? Thanks a million everyone :)

There is a ton of stuff you need to know - spend the days you are waiting for delivery reading. Start with safety and ensure you are taking all the needed precautions first and foremost - the rest will come with practice. Have fun, it's addictive!!

Ok so I'm super excited! I bought my first soy wax candle kit yesterday, but I wont receive it for a few days since I ordered it online. I have been reading a little and thought the soy wax would be a good first choice for a beginner like myself, considering I haven't a clue lol.

I also went ahead and purchased some nice molds. I can't wait to dig and get started! I crochet for a living and really want to add something different! So I'm crossing my fingers that I'm able to make something pretty that smells nice.

Would anyone like give any advice for a beginner? Anything important I need to know? Thanks a million everyone :)

Advice for a beginner: Stay away from the Fragrance Discussions....it can be a bad, bad thing.*faint*

What kit did you order, can you post a link? I'm still working on deciding which one to get!

This is the one I bought. But I only bought the 10lb wax kit because I want to make sure I can do it and not waste too much money on it lol. But I looked around and this looked like the best one :) I know I'm super excited!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-LB-SOY-CANDLE-MAKING-KIT-WAX-DYE-WICKS-SCENTS-/160374803933?pt=Candles&hash=item2557154ddd

This is the one I bought. But I only bought the 10lb wax kit because I want to make sure I can do it and not waste too much money on it lol. But I looked around and this looked like the best one :) I know I'm super excited!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-LB-SOY-CANDLE-MAKING-KIT-WAX-DYE-WICKS-SCENTS-/160374803933?pt=Candles&hash=item2557154ddd

I didn't see any containers in your kit?

I would recommend that you use a mainstream supplier where you will be able to get product reviews from other members of the board and search for posts about those products. I've seen this supplier but don't know anything about the quality of their products. That looks like 415 soy but who knows? HTH

Steve

That's the kit I started with. One thing I can tell you; take those directions with a grain of salt. The first two batches I made, two 8oz candles in each, and even after a month, they have no scent throw. I've made some since with her wax and fragrance, adding the fragrance at a much higher temp, and they turned out much better! I almost gave up after those first two batches, but I decided to order some wax and FO from Candle Science, and I'm so glad I did. I'm still very new...just a month in, but I've already learned so much in here and my candles are coming out much, much better, with great HT if I can be patient enough to let them sit for at least a week, lol. :-)

That's the kit I started with. One thing I can tell you; take those directions with a grain of salt. The first two batches I made, two 8oz candles in each, and even after a month, they have no scent throw. I've made some since with her wax and fragrance, adding the fragrance at a much higher temp, and they turned out much better! I almost gave up after those first two batches, but I decided to order some wax and FO from Candle Science, and I'm so glad I did. I'm still very new...just a month in, but I've already learned so much in here and my candles are coming out much, much better, with great HT if I can be patient enough to let them sit for at least a week, lol. :-)

I go the kit in the mail today. The soy wax is 415. As my name states, I'm really totally cluess as to what I'm doing here lol. The instructions that were provided with the kit are pretty bad. Very minimal and not very helpful at all. I'm assuming I will be doing best to get online and look up some you tube videos. Since you mentioned the candles not having a good scent throw I will definitely add in the FO at a higher temp. Should I start with making a tart using a mold?? or start with a container candle? Which one is the easiest. I will be certain to keep all informed on how this all turns out btw lol. Wish me much luck...I'm sure I'm gonna need it!!!

PLEASE search the veggie wax forum for how to use 415 before you begin. 415 is a soft, container formula. It is not suitable for tarts unless one uses additives to harden it up so it'll come out of the mold. Try a 4 oz. JJ to start using 1 oz. FO PP. Try a CD 8 in it. As for temps, many folks pour 415 at very low temp - slushy. Heat to 160°F & add warmed FO & dye, then stir down to the slushy point to pour.

PLEASE search the veggie wax forum for how to use 415 before you begin. 415 is a soft, container formula. It is not suitable for tarts unless one uses additives to harden it up so it'll come out of the mold. Try a 4 oz. JJ to start using 1 oz. FO PP. Try a CD 8 in it. As for temps, many folks pour 415 at very low temp - slushy. Heat to 160°F & add warmed FO & dye, then stir down to the slushy point to pour.

Stella thanks for the info!!! I had no clue you couldn't use it for tarts. That's one thing I was really looking forward to making was tarts! Could you please please recommend a wax to me, that is suitable for beginners that works wonderfully with tart making?

Also I honestly don't know what PP or CD8 is lol...sorry newbie! :)

Stella thanks for the info!!! I had no clue you couldn't use it for tarts. That's one thing I was really looking forward to making was tarts! Could you please please recommend a wax to me, that is suitable for beginners that works wonderfully with tart making?

Also I honestly don't know what PP or CD8 is lol...sorry newbie! :)

PP= per pound

CD= type of wick

8= size of wick

Wax for melts/tarts: EcoSoya PB (Pillar Blend) --- of course, this is only from my research of these forums; I haven't used it yet ;)

I'm also a newbie to making soy candles, almost a month in! I've used the EcoSoya PB to make tarts and it works great! I have yet to use it in the clamshells yet, but it comes out of the floater molds without any trouble. I just made some last night and they literally slid right out this morning. I didn't have to push on the bottom or anything. Love it!

Anyone ever used 464 for tarts? I'm becoming more and more interested in tarts and wondering if I can give it a try with what I already have.

I tried because I had some leftover wax from making a container. While I was able to get them out of the mold, they are quite soft. I'll stick to using tealights for my excess wax.