IPhone/Ipad for Square Up CC Processing - ?

kssoaper

We're about to throw our little Way Systems unit as far as it will fly!!

We are wanting to go with the Square Up processing, but being old school we don't have an IPhone or an IPad and are wondering if anyone has an opinion as to what would be easiest for 2 technology challenged people to get :smiley2: Also was wondering what happens when you can't get an internet connection,,,does it process the transaction in an off-line mode?

Thanks in advance!

Judy

I just used mine for the very first time at a small show I did on Wednesday. Only processed about $300 in sales, but I really liked it. I used my iphone. I would like to eventually get an ipad (and not just to use this, but just because I want one, lol) but then would have to spring for the 3g access when I am using it away from a wifi. The iphone app allows me to swipe through the reader or manually enter the card (which I did not do). If I remember correctly, it costs a bit more for manual entry. The only issue I had was that several times I had to swipe several times for it to go through. Not sure if it was an old card...bad reader...user error. Not sure what would happen if you don't have wifi or 3g access short of manually recording the numbers somehow for later entry.

Re: Entering products on the iPad - - there was a guy at a show this weekend and that's what he had done; pretty snazzy. Ok, another dumb question - - if we have a Verizon hot spot (and it can find a 3G signal) do we have to subscribe to a data plan too? (Sorry, really ignorant re: all this tech stuff)

I'm going to be the odd man out here and vote for the Droid, preferably one with a keyboard The fact that the droid has the keyboard is a huge plus to me at least. When entering in details of the sales as well as an email address especially for the um... more agely group... it makes it a little easier and faster.

Re: Entering products on the iPad - - there was a guy at a show this weekend and that's what he had done; pretty snazzy. Ok, another dumb question - - if we have a Verizon hot spot (and it can find a 3G signal) do we have to subscribe to a data plan too? (Sorry, really ignorant re: all this tech stuff)

Im not sure about that one. You might need to contact square up and ask. Like I said before you have to have a wifi or 3G connection to make transactions. You will just have to do a test and see or contact your phone provider or square up. HTH! :-)

I am a droid fan too. It is SUPER easy to use with mine. AS far as the keyboard goes, I just upgraded to the Droid Bionic and the virtual keyboard is MUCH better than past versions. My hubby actually put down his Droid with the keyboard to use mine this weekend because it was easier to type on.

I actually have the Droid 3, and I do use the virtual keyboard more often than anything else, and talk to text while I'm driving but when I hand it over to a customer to sign and put their email in I slide out the keyboard for them. The best part of the Droid 3's keyboard is there is a dedicated number line up top (no alt keys) and a dedicated @ sign which is handy. It is a little bulky though, especially with a case on it.

Kssoaper, what do you mean by a Verizon hot spot? Do you mean one provided by the craft show? If so you do not have to subscribe to a data plan but keep in mind these "free" hotspots are very risky as they are usually unsecured. I would not use one. Here is a link to the Squareup site: https://help.squareup.com/customer/portal/articles/161061-how-much-data-does-the-square-app-use-

If you do not already own the required phone or iPad, I would also recommend the Android for several reasons:

Cost and warranty: You have to sign a 2-year contract for the iPhone to get the discounted price. The same is true for the iPad with 3g already built in and turned on. The problem is that if the device has a one year warranty and it dies, you are stuck with the contract. Androids can be had with a one year contract. Also the acquistion cost for the Android is generally less and they are available with built-in keyboards and slide out keyboards which some people seem to like. Find out if 4g is available in your area. If not, don't buy a 4G phone as this usually comes with an extra fee every month. I have been testing a Sprint Motorola XPRT phone and like it a lot. The battery life of this phone is exceptional for an Android. Another thing about iPhones and iPads-you can't replace the batteries like you can with the Androids. Apple actually invented special screws for their phones so the user can't open them and has to take the phone to Apple to replace the battery. I am finding Sprint is generally easier to work with and cheaper than ATT and Verizon if the coverage is good in your area. HTH