Newbie Question..possibly stupid

I poured a small batch last night with my new wicks. I poured 3 candles and a few melts. I couldn't stand it & melted one today because it smelled so good. It had good throw (by my newbie standards) so does that mean it's okay to test burn a candle since the melt had good HT? Or is HT from a melt and HT from a candle 2 different things?

Curing the wax for the candle has nothing to do with your tarts... but even a tart will throw better if allowed to cure for a few days... One is curing the WAX and FO together... Just because you have a decent throw now doesn't mean the HT wouldn't benefit from a reasonable cure time...

Edited by Stella1952

• 2 weeks later...

Another question- I'm randomly looking at different candle websites checking out labels, containers, etc & sometimes I'll read through a lot of their info on "why soy/paraffin" and "how to burn..". I ran across this and it's the first time I've seen anyone say this:

"When you burn your soy wax candle you might notice a mushroom of flower-like formation on the end of the wick. This is a natural phenomenon common to soy wax that does not occur with other waxes. It is not the wick that causes this. Before re-lighting your candle it's okay to knock ash off the wick before but it is not necessary. Do not trim wick in case you trim it too short!"

??

Rule #1 of Marketing candles when you have no idea what you are doing:

If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullsh*t

Congratulations!! :cheesy2:

You have managed to find the official website of the village idiot.

The person who owns that site doesn't know how to wick a candle... and a whole lot more...

Someone posted a site once that talked about how the mushrooms on THEIR candles made them throw scent better... :rolleyes2

natural phenomenon common to soy wax that does not occur with other waxes

They should see the 'shrooms on the paraffin candles sold at the convenience store near my house - I'm talking THUMB sized...:rolleyes2

flower-like formation

:rolleyes2 PUH-LEEZE!!!:rolleyes2

It's a freakin' ball of uncombusted carbon for goodness sake, not a table arrangement!!

Before re-lighting your candle it's okay to knock ash off the wick before but it is not necessary. Do not trim wick in case you trim it too short!"

I am speechless and may spew my cider all over the keyboard...

WHERE ARE MY HIP WADERS?

Thanks for the belly laugh!!:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

...and we wonder where customers get the strange ideas...

Well, here's some more, lol:

"Safe and Easy Cleaning

Because of the lower melting point of soy wax (approx. 118 degrees), the melted wax is safe to the touch"

I found another site with a "how-to" article & she said that if you make your candles from a kit that you didn't even have to test them! Because the supplier would make sure you had all the right pieces & parts in the kit. Right....................

Thank goodness I just finished my cider - there could have been an accident...

Those sites could easily vie for the title of "World's Worst Candle Information Sites"

Because of the lower melting point of soy wax (approx. 118 degrees), the melted wax is safe to the touch"

And the flame is what temperature? We're not MELTING wax in a candle, honey, we're BURNIN' it!!!:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

if you make your candles from a kit that you didn't even have to test them! Because the supplier would make sure you had all the right pieces & parts in the kit.

Could you please PM me that website? I have some mountain property in SE Louisiana I wanna try to sell them...

Beth, you have a dark talent for locating incredibly bad information.

This is getting ridiculously amusing - ya got any more? Bring 'em on!! :yay::laugh2::yay::laugh2:

Edited by Stella1952

Good stuff!! I don't think I've ever seen or heard a candlemaker EVER say not to trim a wick. Guess it takes all kinds. Hey Beth, did this company also triple scent their candles???? or maybe they've figured out how to quadruple the scent!! lol

You know, I don't think they did! lol

Thank goodness I just finished my cider - there could have been an accident...

Those sites could easily vie for the title of "World's Worst Candle Information Sites"

And the flame is what temperature? We're not MELTING wax in a candle, honey, we're BURNIN' it!!!:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Could you please PM me that website? I have some mountain property in SE Louisiana I wanna try to sell them...

Beth, you have a dark talent for locating incredibly bad information.

This is getting ridiculously amusing - ya got any more? Bring 'em on!! :yay::laugh2::yay::laugh2:

In case you were looking for the very best candle in the US, here it is:

"Our handcrafted triple scented candles are becoming the number one highly scented candle in the USA."

And they have ESP:

"We hand-poured our candles at the time of your order"

& aren't you jealous you didn't think of this!

"candle tarts are one of a kind" "6 pack breakaway"

"Over 560 scented candles are now available from ....."

Really??? I see how long it takes to figure out the whole wax/wick/FO combos... that would take me decades to figure out..

& their designer scents.. not one of them said "type" . ??

Edited by Beth
took out links....

A ha! The whole "triple-scented" theory explained, typo and all:

"The biggest advantage is scent! They are somtimes called triple-scented because of the amount of fragrance they can hold -- far more than paraffin or beeswax, and virtually almost as much as natural candles."

One more.....

"Non-Allergenic for those who have experienced allergenic reactions to petroleum based paraffin candles - now you can enjoy that wonderful soothing relaxing candle lit evening without difficulty!"

"It also means no burns from hot wax. The liquid wax can actually be touched!"

What is with all these people who touch the wax? :)

and virtually almost as much as natural candles

WTH does THAT mean? How much is "virtually almost"? :laugh2:

The liquid wax can actually be touched!
I have been touching liquid wax ever since I was a little kid... are there people who lack the ability to do this? Are they considered disabled? :undecided

Lord have mercy!!!:rolleyes2

WTH does THAT mean? How much is "virtually almost"? :laugh2:

I have been touching liquid wax ever since I was a little kid... are there people who lack the ability to do this? Are they considered disabled? :undecided

Lord have mercy!!!:rolleyes2

Oxy moron...maybe? Wait..no it isn't that either. Virtual is real or literal...so yeah..it is an oxy moron. That is it. I need coffee. Stella..help me out here.

Oxy moron...maybe? Wait..no it isn't that either. Virtual is real or literal...so yeah..it is an oxy moron. That is it. I need coffee. Stella..help me out here.

2 words on almost every site I look at: "virtual" & "memory".

Memory...as in wicks having a memory? Maybe I'd better read this whole thread from the beginning again :confused:

lol, no, that was just a side note to the discussion. Your comment earlier just reminded me about how everyone puts the "did you know candles have a memory?" line on their websites, lol. And "soy candles are VIRTUALLY sootless". I've seen both those lines a million times already.

lol, no, that was just a side note to the discussion. Your comment earlier just reminded me about how everyone puts the "did you know candles have a memory?" line on their websites, lol. And "soy candles are VIRTUALLY sootless". I've seen both those lines a million times already.

Yep, I went back and read it all...my own comments included...lol. I got it now. Don't ya just love those who say a soy candle is sootless...it is soot only white. Back when I was doing soy I tested that theory with a dark cloth wiping the rim of my candle. Sure enough...there it was...white soot..lol. Not much but nonetheless...it was there. Now, possibly it was my own wicking issue but I tend to believe there isn't anything with a flame that isn't going to produce some type of soot.

The first site you mentioned way back on page 1 or 2 was really off the wall. He/she will be lucky if they don't get told off by someone who knows they are not quite so truthful...to put it mildly...lol.

BTW...you are great at finding these claims....keep 'em coming. Gives us all a good chuckle each time :laugh2: