Melt Point of 6006?

Does anyone know the melt point of the 6006? I can't seem to find it anywhere...

Melt Point:133°Wax Type:Paraffin/Soy BlendAppearance:Semi-Gloss, OpaqueMax Fragrance:10% or 1 2/3oz./lb.Applications:- Containers

- TealightsPour temp:170° (+/-5°)Oil Content:.4

Wow, do I look lazy! No really I checked the website and couldn't find it! It doesn't really say on the links that you gave except the 6000 series link. On the MSDS sheet it has all the 6000 series together, so does that mean even the 6098 has the same mp? Ok, so I DID find it finally...but in CELCIUS! One thing I don't understand is why I can use a smaller wick for the 6006 than I can the 415, but the 6006 has a higher melt point. Thanks!

Edited by Dana

Now I've lost what the question was. Paraffin can use a smaller wick because it is less viscous than vegetable waxes and burns easier and hotter. Depending on the blend, a parasoy wax (6006 for example) may have burn properties in between the two waxes and needs to be wicked accordingly.

I know it (6006) contains paraffin, but melt point means the temp at which it melts.....so why would it matter what it contains?

That's a common sense question. Melt point is the temp at which something melts not the ease with which it burns. HUGE difference.

Melt point is just that - the point at which a wax melts. That has VERY LITTLE to do with the burn properties of a substance. The actual composition of the wax has FAR more to do with how it burns than does the MP. You can achieve that MP on a tart warmer, in a candle, in a saucepan, etc. It's just the value at which something melts. Butter, margarine, shortening and cocoa butter may all have similar melt points, but the burn properties of each may vary wildly! In the case of soy and paraffin waxes, as rj pointed out, soy is more difficult to burn because of its composition and viscosity. Takes a higher temp & wick size to burn soy, as well as a wick type that allows wax to flow more freely (coreless, non-directional) so that it will not clog as easily.

Ok, I think I am understanding it. So a smaller wick might produce more heat in the 6006 than it will in the 415. In other words, it (6006) is not melting at a lower temp, it is just taking a smaller wick to achieve this. Correct?

Ok, I think I am understanding it. So a smaller wick might produce more heat in the 6006 than it will in the 415. In other words, it (6006) is not melting at a lower temp, it is just taking a smaller wick to achieve this. Correct?

Yes, that sounds about right, paraffin burns and flows easier than the soy.

I have been at this a long time and all along I was thinking MP meant it would burn easier....meaning a smaller wick! Playing with these two waxes has taught me something (and you!) and that is there is always something else to try and always something else to learn in this business! THANK YOU!

None of us knows everything and every time we make something, there's an opportunity to learn! That's why I love discussing things with all of you - I learn so much from the observations, tips and difficulties others share. I've been making soap lately and have to pull off to pour candles soon - I'm willing to bet that I have my share of hair-tearing events when I do! I'm just gonna pretend I have never done it before and try to pay attention to every little thing and hopefully, I won't make TOO many fuglies!! :shocked2:

***thinking about going over some old pouring notes***