FO quantities

JoysousDesigns

I don't know of any american suppliers that list their oils by fluid ounces. But you didn't say who you are buying from. Is this a company or an individual?

Its an individual I am buying from and no its just listed as oz which i presumed meant weighed ounce. How I can work out how many mls in a weighed oz is almost beyond me.

Hi Joysous, it is hard to predict what a volume of FO will weigh since some FOs are thicker than others. For example, if you measure out a Tablespoon of a heavy FO like Vanilla, it would probably weigh a little more than a Tablespoon of a lighter FO like Lemon.

But you can take a quick guess at it. For really loose and dirty guesses, I'll say 1 ml = 1 gram FO (30 ml in a fluid oz, so fluid oz = 30 grams). In reality, it is more like 1 ml = .85 grams, but each FO is different so when the calculations are important, weigh and measure carefully :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I am new here to this forum and to candle making and I know this is an old post but I would like to offer a little help with this mathematical delima. Before I throw the formula out there I would like to warn people that with my OCD, I sometimes like to be very precise.

That being said!

1 fluid ounce of water = .065 lbs, or 1.04 ounces (by weight), or 29.57 grams, or 29.57 millilitters (fluid).

From everythng I've read on here, no one uses some of the information that is used on the MSDS Sheets provided by your suppliers or manufactures but there are some very usefull information contained on them. Find the Specific Gravity on the MSDS sheet and multiply that by the unit of measure that you are using and that will give you the actual weight conversion from Volume to Mass (Fluid to Weight). For example, I have a FO (Banana Nut Bread) and the MSDS Sheet tells me that the Specific Gravity is .998. If I want to figure out the weight of 1 fluid ounce of that FO is, I would multiply .998 by 1.04 which equals 1.037 ounces or 29.398 grams which is what I use. Sounds more complicated than it is!

The weight of a liquid is called the Molecular Mass or Specific Gravity which is always referenced to water which is 1. If what you are using is a decimel (.998) it is lighter than water and if it is 1.something then it is heavier, that simple. By multiplying them together you get the Molecular Weight of that fluid. The wax that you use also have a Specific gravity (Mine is .90 - .94), just wanted to note that if the two Specific Gravities (Wax and FO) are too different they will not mix or stay mixed once stiring has stopped.

Sorry so wordy, Hope this helps you!

Hi everyone! I am new here to this forum and to candle making and I know this is an old post but I would like to offer a little help with this mathematical delima. Before I throw the formula out there I would like to warn people that with my OCD, I sometimes like to be very precise.

That being said!

1 fluid ounce of water = .065 lbs, or 1.04 ounces (by weight), or 29.57 grams, or 29.57 millilitters (fluid).

From everythng I've read on here, no one uses some of the information that is used on the MSDS Sheets provided by your suppliers or manufactures but there are some very usefull information contained on them. Find the Specific Gravity on the MSDS sheet and multiply that by the unit of measure that you are using and that will give you the actual weight conversion from Volume to Mass (Fluid to Weight). For example, I have a FO (Banana Nut Bread) and the MSDS Sheet tells me that the Specific Gravity is .998. If I want to figure out the weight of 1 fluid ounce of that FO is, I would multiply .998 by 1.04 which equals 1.037 ounces or 29.398 grams which is what I use. Sounds more complicated than it is!

The weight of a liquid is called the Molecular Mass or Specific Gravity which is always referenced to water which is 1. If what you are using is a decimel (.998) it is lighter than water and if it is 1.something then it is heavier, that simple. By multiplying them together you get the Molecular Weight of that fluid. The wax that you use also have a Specific gravity (Mine is .90 - .94), just wanted to note that if the two Specific Gravities (Wax and FO) are too different they will not mix or stay mixed once stiring has stopped.

Sorry so wordy, Hope this helps you!

Holy Crap-oli.............. you made my brain hurt, lol.