Any one have any experience with Anhydrous Caffeine...

Soapymomma

I have been reading about the addition of this to soap and it seems that the caffeine is absorbed into the skin and works sort of like drinking coffee. I was given a sample bottle of anhydrous caffeine and am planning on testing it to see if it really works. Sounds like a fad or something just for fun, but then it might be a really cool thing. Anyone else done any testing or know much about this? I am going to try it in some M and P and see what happens. LOL! TIA Soapymomma

I've read about the use of caffeine in lotions etc. for cellulite creams. But as the article in the link says there's no proof it works. What's funny is that I have also read that too much caffeine intake contributes to cellulite. Personally I think that since all the other ingredients that have been 'anti-cellulite' have failed companies are just trying another one to keep selling these products. There are other more effective ways to reduce it but you can't ever totally get rid of it....Gotta love genetics....:rolleyes: LOL

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/article.asp?PAGETYPE=ART&REFER=BODY&ID=55

I was just wanting to talk to someone who had tried it. I saw on a computer web site that they were selling it as a "morning wake-up". One guy who used it said it did make him feel like he had consumed three cups of coffee. I think the whole idea is outragous. But, who knows? Soapymomma

In a recent cosmetic trade show, I saw it subtly being promoted as having a "stimulant" effect on skin itself. The truth is, the effects of caffeine are actually directly related to a metabolite of caffeine (paraxanthine), and not the caffeine itself. In essence, the caffeine has to reach the bloodstream and be metabolized by the liver to have any effect at all. And then, the effects of the metabolite (the product after the liver is through with it) are really just limited to muscular stimulation (mostly smooth muscle, such as that which lines your digestive tract) and nervous stimulation, both of which respond to elevated Calcium ion concentrations. And it can't possibly be localized to skin, because by the time it is metabolized, it is circulating in the bloodstream.

There is no evidence that it does anything for your skin. But the marketing ploy is to suggest that it somehow has a "stimulating" effect on the skin. Some people will buy the propaganda though...

Cheers,

Alan:)

Yep, It's all in how they advertise it...

Just like the AHAs. That stuff is only really effective at levels of 10% or higher and most creams are far below that and they tell you that the 'rosie color in your skin,the youthful plumpness and the invigorating tingle' is the product working and it's actually your skin getting really irritated not younger....:rolleyes:

Ain't advertising great...LOL

not claim to, but one site I was looking at stated that the caffeine was absorbed through the skin and therefore did reach the blood stream and acted as a stimulant. They were wanting to claim that when it was used in a bar of soap, it worked as a "wake up" like drinking coffee does. These people were not claiming that it helped cellulite or promoted youth, just that it gave the body a little kick to get going in the morning or whenever. Do you think that is possible? I know it is a fad and most likely a bunch of bull, but do find it very interesting still. Thank you for the info. I do wonder if it could be harmful in certain cases. One site I looked at had a warning label on their soap that it should not be used by pregrant women or people with high blood pressure. I wonder if that also is part of the sales pitch? Thanks again, Soapymomma