Eco Wicks & IGI 4627

I'm soooo excited I can't stand it!!!!! After 4 months of daily testing, the Eco's are working!

12.25oz Status jar

4.5% to 10% FO (too much going back down to 8%)

190-180 Melt & pour

Eco 12 so far is best, Eco 14 2nd best.

I don't care if these don't work tomorrow. Just to finally know what it feels like to have a perfect candle today!!!!! :yay:

:thumbsup:

I'm soooo excited I can't stand it!!!!! After 4 months of daily testing, the Eco's are working!

12.25oz Status jar

4.5% to 10% FO (too much going back down to 8%)

190-180 Melt & pour

Eco 12 so far is best, Eco 14 2nd best.

I don't care if these don't work tomorrow. Just to finally know what it feels like to have a perfect candle today!!!!! :yay:

:whoohoo: Awesome ....I just have to tell you I got quite a chuckle out of it where you said you don't care if they don't work tomorrow. That is so true about this candle making thing. One day they work and the next it all changes.

Edited by jeanie353

ChandlerWicks, I don't know what others will say and I hate to throw water on your fire, but those wicks in that wax sound like torches to me. Here's why I say that: I usually wick that jar with an ECO 8 or 10 using a 70% soy/30% paraffin blend. You are using 100% paraffin. I know that the 4627 does require a little larger wick than most paraffin waxes because of all the additives in it but it just sounds like too large of a wick to me. JMHO

Thanks Jeanie!

IwantItgreen- Whatever advice y'all share is welcome! I thank you for it! I hear & consider anything given in a polite manner such as yours. I'll keep testing until I find the perfect candle. So far the Eco 12's have a steady not quite 1" flame, no flickering, soot or mushrooms. I really wanted the htp's to work because of all the good reviews. I really do test everyday, about 14 hours each day. I work at home & have lots of time. Wicks Unlimited also recommended Eco 8's & 10's. I was getting ready to send 3 jars to them because I was having such trouble. As long as I'm close to being in the ballpark I'm good. (Maybe I should say at this testing stage!)

Thanks Jeanie!

IwantItgreen- Whatever advice y'all share is welcome! I thank you for it! I hear & consider anything given in a polite manner such as yours. I'll keep testing until I find the perfect candle. So far the Eco 12's have a steady not quite 1" flame, no flickering, soot or mushrooms. I really wanted the htp's to work because of all the good reviews. I really do test everyday, about 14 hours each day. I work at home & have lots of time. Wicks Unlimited also recommended Eco 8's & 10's. I was getting ready to send 3 jars to them because I was having such trouble. As long as I'm close to being in the ballpark I'm good. (Maybe I should say at this testing stage!)

It sure sounds like you are in the ballpark even if you find you have to wick down a size or two as it goes along.

I started out with Eco wicks in 415 soy years ago. I really wanted to use CD wicks since so many other candlemakers have good success with them. When I got the blend I am using now (parasoy), the 2nd best recommendation was Eco. It turns out they are working for me once again. The one thing I do notice with them is the saying of "wicking for the bottom of the jar" really does ring true with those wicks....I have found anyway. They start out almost seeming to be underwicked yet turn out to not be as the candle goes along. On the other hand, if a customer doesn't burn that 1st or 2nd burn on the 1" per hour rule, they are likely to have some tunneling. Other than that, I find them to rarely mushroom on me, rarely soot and even more rare that I run across a flickering wick....those drive me crazy.

I use an Eco 10 for most of my scents on a 16oz apothecary that is about 3 - 3/8" in the mostly paraffin (parasoy) blend. The paraffin used in the blend is unknown but I can tell it is not a wicker-up-er type like 4627.

This kinda makes me want to get out the 4627 and give it another try with Eco's. I just cannot leave well enough alone.

Good luck

Edited by jeanie353

Thanks Pixie! Yep y'all were correct. Flame Throwers towards the end. But still happy I'm getting closer!

Seems like every time I read a comment about Eco wicks in 4627 there are many complaints, but mainly "no hot throw." I'm wondering why you don't just use the IGI recommended wick for 4627, which is the HTP, or the other one that always gets good reviews, which is zinc.

The Eco's don't seem to have as good of a HT but such a perfect flame until I get to bottom of the jar. I keep trying the Htp's while Im testing the other wicks. Could be something else I'm doing wrong.

Seems like every time I read a comment about Eco wicks in 4627 there are many complaints, but mainly "no hot throw." I'm wondering why you don't just use the IGI recommended wick for 4627, which is the HTP, or the other one that always gets good reviews, which is zinc.