Need Advice

I have always wanted to get into candle making and this year for my birthday my sister bought me a kit!

It has the wax, color, fragrance,a Thermometer, a Melting Pot, wicks & votive molds. It has just a tiny sheet of instructions though which are really zero help lol. I looked up the info online on using the double boiler method.

I am just confused on one small bit. It says to fill each mold to the very top and then add the wick. Then wait 30-45 mins and then pop any bubbles and pour again.

So would i take the wax off the heat during this time and then heat again later when I am ready?

Thanks

I would take it off the heat especially if there is a fragrance added to the wax, you could burn some of it off during that time. Fragrance or no I would take it off the heat just in case you got involved in another project and forgot about it. Wax can be melt and remelted without any problems.

The wax is most likely a paraffin wax and some will shrink during cooling, this means that a second (sometimes more) pour is needed to get a full, smooth-topped candle. Nothing unusual about this. The double boiler method is a great way to start. Candle making is great fun, keep us abreast of your progress and use this site as a resource, there is a ton of info here.

I'd take it off the heat too. I'm also going to suggest that you can wait longer to make your second pour too ... just so you don't end up with a cratered surface. I'm guessing you have a votive candle mold making kit? That's the only one I can think of that would say pour and then add wick.

The pouring temperature is important. I would think the instructions with the kit talk about that. If not, look it up here. Not sure how you can keep the heat at the pouring temp. Usually the best way to hit the pouring temp is to take the pot off the heat and then pour when it cools to the right temp. Rarely can a pot be kept at the pouring temp.