No Hot Throw

Ok , got some fragrances from the NEW supplier in GA and man I am stumped and really can't find the answer(unless I am just overlooking it). I get hardly any hot throw with the wick but when I put my candle on a warmer all I can say is WOW.

I know wick size can affect the hot throw so my question is do I have to wick up or wick down ?

Thanks a ton in advance

I new somebody was gonna ask that but I thought I knew it was the wick size :( thats why I didn't put that info in. Using IGI 4627 with a 4 oz jelly jar and have tried various wicks from ECO 2 HTP 52 and I think I even tried the LX-16 that the Candle Science Chart recommended. Got the melt and burn down but I'll be damned if I can get a hot throw with a wick. Just made another batch of testers and added fragrance at 180 and poured at 165. I also used only 1 oz of fragrance. Umma get this down one day :) Thanks again ....

I have some 4 oz (3 inch diameter) testers made with 4630 wicked with LX-14 and HTP-83. I have already tested the HTP-83 and got good results and I expect the LX-14 one to work reasonably well too. Looking at the ROC (rate of consumption) and flame heights of LX-14 and LX-16, there is not a huge difference between them. How were the melt pools? Try a larger HTP wick and see if you can get the temp of the melt pool higher without creating a torch.

I new somebody was gonna ask that but I thought I knew it was the wick size :( thats why I didn't put that info in. Using IGI 4627 with a 4 oz jelly jar and have tried various wicks from ECO 2 HTP 52 and I think I even tried the LX-16 that the Candle Science Chart recommended. Got the melt and burn down but I'll be damned if I can get a hot throw with a wick. Just made another batch of testers and added fragrance at 180 and poured at 165. I also used only 1 oz of fragrance. Umma get this down one day :) Thanks again ....

I couldn't conquer that one to my satisfaction either. However, I've read where many others have and say it kicks butt. I think they say to wick up with that wax and also believe I've saw posts of ppl who use zincs with it.

I used about 1/4 of the box and gave up. Speaking of that I need to get it on the classies to make some room around here....along with 444, 464, ME...lol.

Edited by jeanie353

hi, this is my first post. it has been awhile since i was on a candle forum. but, here i go. did you say how wide the widest part of you jar is? i will go back and read. if it is 3 inches. you can use a lx 18. i love the lx wicks. but the most frustrating part to me is matching the wicks and fo's. practice and practice. good luck and keep me posted on how you are doing.

i think i may have solved it and am a little embarrassed . I have a fairly large home with a very wide open layout. I think it may have all been placement of the candle. I had the candle burning on a ledge that separates the living room from the kitchen with is also wide open to the dinning room which also has stairs in the middle that lead upstairs. I took my little 4 oz jelly jar candle and put it in my computer room which is about 10 x 12 and wow , it knocked my socks off. Perfect melt pool nice hot throw , just a little mushroom on the wick . But other than that I am somewhat happy and excited.

Does this make sense ???

Thanks

Darrell

Yes, that makes a lot of sense and the answer is diffusion and dilution, I burn my 4 oz jars on my office of about the same size, no door unfortunately and a good candle will smell up that room quite fine. Bringing into the great room would provide for a sensory disappointment. One would need multiple 4 oz in that room.

Glad to hear it is working for you now.

You mentioned that on a warmer it was better. That tells me the room is not the issue. So, did the warmer created a larger melt pool? Usually the larger the melt pool the better the throw.

you are right Eric, I did get a very good throw from the warmer . As far as the melt pool the melt pool is no different. Now ya got me thinkin :(

The warmer probably heated the wax to a slightly higher temp, which made the FO throw better. See how the wicking goes with the candle. A size larger might be too hot for the container...

There are other possibilities, too - like standing over the warmer to see if it was going to throw better because it didn't seem to work at first with the candle lit... Also, did the candle have a FMP when first tested? Or did you have candle nose when you first tested the candle?

Edited by Stella1952