Repour?!!

:angry2::angry2::angry2: Got too excited over finally getting my scent throw right with CBA that I made 30 candles w/o testing each fo in wick and discovered I need to wick up on most that I used a higher% of fo...UGH...? is Can I remelt and repour each candle into a fresh, rewicked container and let cure again for 7-10 days and not affect the quality or original ht of candle?

Trial and error as you know, found that CS fo's work well and following the manufacture's directions instead of suppliers directions made a big difference in ht...CBA just makes a beautiful candle and did not want to give up lol...I do use a slightly higher % load and cure time makes quite a difference in this wax as well. Angry at myself for creating all this unneccessary work but smaller wick is just not cutting it-I get a full melt pool but flame is too small and affects the ht....but to be clear the ht I get is NOT as strong as other soy candles I have smelled but to get a decent ht with the beautiful appearance of this soy makes me pretty happy

Testing has to happen FIRST, not later then discover you have a problem... Assume nothing.

Since CBA has hot throw issues inherently, if you remelt, then test and find the right size wick but the HT just isn't there, how will you know if it's because of the remelt or the hot throw of that FO in that wax with that wick?

Edited by Stella1952

Testing has to happen FIRST, not later then discover you have a problem... Assume nothing.

Since CBA has hot throw issues inherently, if you remelt, then test and find the right size wick but the HT just isn't there, how will you know if it's because of the remelt or the hot throw of that FO in that wax with that wick?

Not sure I'd want to throw out 30 candles, the OP should just make a few fresh ones with the wick they think is right and the compare to the repours.

Not sure I'd want to throw out 30 candles, the OP should just make a few fresh ones with the wick they think is right and the compare to the repours.

Well, what can I say? That's what happens when ya pour 30 candles without testing FIRST...

Why would you try to salvage the test? The OP isn't making these for sale, right? 'Cause I KNOW you can't be talking about selling or giving away candles whose testing hasn't been done properly!!! The OP would find out how the candles BURN with the different sized wicks but the test won't be accurate regarding the HT... not a huge problem if the HT is plenty good during the repoured new wick testing, but if it's on the "pale" side, how would you know if the repour LOST scent throw or the larger size wick is burning it off or what?

Any which way ya square it, due diligence in testing needs to be accomplished.

I don't know what the OP is using the candles for but the test is pretty simple and straight forward. Leave some of the original small wicked candles for test A, make a few NEW candles with the different wick (test B) and repour the others with the new wick (test C) and if one is really inquisitive, repour a with with the smaller wick (test D). That should cover all the variables and provided the OP with some data about wick size and the effect of repouring. Sounds like a cool experiment to me, I hope the OP does it and learns something in the process.

30 candles w/o testing each fo in wick and discovered I need to wick up on most that I used a higher% of fo

That's a LOT of "cool" experimenting with more than one FO & percentage... Personally, to save time and money, I'd make new testers for each FO and each different % of FO and run from there.

Go for it. I re-melt all the time and have never had a problem with throw. I would try one candle if you doubt it. I melt in the Micro Wave for 2-4 minutes pour into a new wicked container. If you haven't tried the throw of each FO then don't know if you'll be able to judge anything but wick size. I have tested every scent I sell to see if it throws.

I tested 3 of the 6 fo's and was happy with the burn so I continued making 30 candles in the 6 scents...but when I burned the one with the slightly higher % fo it had a smaller flame and mp so I want to wick up one size on the heavier load candle and see how that does and go from there...all 30 candles look beautiful and the ct is awesome on all of them that's why I want to salvage them...but definetly lesson learned-patience and diligent testing from now on (sigh)

• 2 weeks later...

Update...I finally finished testing and rewicking and repouring, I did add a small amount of fo to each one and I must say I'm really glad I didn't trash them. They look beautiful and the ht is good :smiley2: and they burn much better. Of course-I won't do that again-alot of work but was worth it