OMG!! I think I finally got it!!

After years and years and years of playing around with candles and no matter what I did not getting one to burn right. I would test and test and get disgusted and stop. It was always either no CT, light HT at first then nothing and never could seem to get the right wick.They never looked good with color too much frosting......tried adding co, crisco, standing on my head when pouring while chanting, "Cant we all just get along?''.....nothing worked... BUT I think I finally found what works for me ( knock on wood ) I mixed CS wax with my 464 @ 30/70 and the 2nd day it was throwing like crazy got excited and tried a test burn awesome HT I'm on my 3rd burn and so far its perfect! ( knock on wood again) Colors good no frosting at all so far, but at the max pp of peaks liquid I was hoping for deeper color, but still no frosting:yay:. I just cant stop looking at this candle I'm so happy.

Well, not sure which one Dixiegal is referring to, but I use the container/tarts/votive blend from The Candle Source. For me (and it may be totally different for others), it works great; excellent, long lasting HT (in all fairness, the CT isn't that great, but the HT kicks butt). A bit tricky to wick on its own, but well worth the sweat, lol

HTH

After years and years and years of playing around with candles and no matter what I did not getting one to burn right. I would test and test and get disgusted and stop. It was always either no CT, light HT at first then nothing and never could seem to get the right wick.They never looked good with color too much frosting......tried adding co, crisco, standing on my head when pouring while chanting, "Cant we all just get along?''.....nothing worked... BUT I think I finally found what works for me ( knock on wood ) I mixed CS wax with my 464 @ 30/70 and the 2nd day it was throwing like crazy got excited and tried a test burn awesome HT I'm on my 3rd burn and so far its perfect! ( knock on wood again) Colors good no frosting at all so far, but at the max pp of peaks liquid I was hoping for deeper color, but still no frosting:yay:. I just cant stop looking at this candle I'm so happy.

dixiegal....Congrats....Isn't it just the greatest thing when you find that one combo or blend that works!!!!!!!!! I was driving myself crazy for 2 years trying to get so many to throw, wick right, look right until I decided to try a supplier's blend on a whim (maybe desperation). I have so many different waxes here that I tried alone and blended but they just weren't what I was looking for. I'm going to put them on the classies one of these days.

Ravens....I am going to re-visit TCS wax for tarts. You sold me on giving it another whirl. Actually, I had only tried it for containers...not being concerned for the tart quality at the time. It threw as well as the supplier's wax I am using now. My problem was just what you mentioned...a bit tricky to wick.

Edited by jeanie353

Hello !!

Dixiegel,

I have som 464 and would love to try this, but which TCS wax are you using with 464? I went to TCS website and clicked on 'Wax - Container Blend Soy' and it says "There are no products in this category"

http://www.thecandlesource.com/catalog/c37_p1.html

???? Help please ????

Thanks !!

On the left side of the page....click on "wax information and directions". Then click on the picture of the wax and it will bring up the list. I pretended to buy a slab and was able to put it in a shopping cart. I had to restrain myself from checking the darn thing out :)

I have bags of 464 here that are taking up space. Now I'm thinking I may have to give this a try too. If I understood correct you went with 30% on TCS and 70% 464? I have every wick imaginable here (well, almost) so all I need is TCS wax. Maybe I could get a comparable product to my supplier blend and save a lot of money.

It is great you are getting an awesome HT beginning on day 2 with 464. I had to wait 4 days or so and that was even with paraffin mixed in at various percentages. I did not try TCS tho'.

Edited by jeanie353

Sorry for posting then disappearing. My elderly parents have moved in with us and I don't have as much computer time as I used to. Yes its the blend mentioned here. I finally finished testing the whole candle and its crazy but it seemed to get stronger each day I burned it,The only reason I can think of is because I started burning it so soon and it cured more while testing. Never did frost. Burned perfectly from start to finish. I poured 2 more scents yesterday 2 candles each scent because I knew I wouldn't be able to stand waiting 5 days to test.

jeanie353 the wick that worked for me was CS LX 14 for an 8oz sq mason jar I know most people use CD wicks but for some reason I choose this one. Honestly I want to concerned about wick choice because I figured it would never work anyway. And I'm sorry but I made a mistake with the ratio I when I typed it. It wasn't 30/70% It was 3oz TCS wax and 13 oz 464 I was so excited when I started this thread I didn't realise what I had typed. I have no idea where I got those numbers.

Sorry for posting then disappearing. My elderly parents have moved in with us and I don't have as much computer time as I used to. Yes its the blend mentioned here. I finally finished testing the whole candle and its crazy but it seemed to get stronger each day I burned it,The only reason I can think of is because I started burning it so soon and it cured more while testing. Never did frost. Burned perfectly from start to finish. I poured 2 more scents yesterday 2 candles each scent because I knew I wouldn't be able to stand waiting 5 days to test.

jeanie353 the wick that worked for me was CS LX 14 for an 8oz sq mason jar I know most people use CD wicks but for some reason I choose this one. Honestly I want to concerned about wick choice because I figured it would never work anyway. And I'm sorry but I made a mistake with the ratio I when I typed it. It wasn't 30/70% It was 3oz TCS wax and 13 oz 464 I was so excited when I started this thread I didn't realise what I had typed. I have no idea where I got those numbers.

Oh, no problem at all. When we conquer a blend it is completely normal to not be able to think or talk straight...although you did a much better job than I did when I found the blend I am using now. Seeing I have quite a bit of 464 sitting here, I thought I'd mess around with it after I get the big batch of candles I have waiting for me as soon as the new wax arrives. With any luck I'll have a lot of sales and no down time :)

Did you find the LX tending to burn sideways on you? I love everything else about LX's except that. I'll still give them a try tho' when I do your blend. Yes, a lot of people do use CD wicks. I guess it is another of the interesting variables in what works for one may or may not work for the next person. However, I'll admit I do have to try what worked for the first person :cheesy2:

I read a post sometime back where someone did mention they thought LX worked best in the parasoy blends. I was an Eco person back when I used GB 415 and when I saw CW recommended them as the 2nd preferred wick for this blend, I was a happy camper. They recommended RRD as first choice but they were torches for me.

Edited by jeanie353

The LX burned perfectly on the first candle which was scented with bite me from NG. Now the ones I tested today didn't do so well. One was all hallows eve from bcn and the other was candy corn from alabasters. Both didn't get a full melt pool and tunneled. So remelted them to try another wick. great CT but no HT to speak of even leaning over the candles. After I blew out the wick and the smoke cleared I could smell them, but while burning in 12x12 rooms 3 hours nothing. I'm not sure if I should try the next size up because even though they tunneled the flame seemed to be a nice size, but I guess since I poured 2 testers of each I have enough candles to try and see what happens. Well if nothing else at least I know I can make an awesome Bite Me candle.

The LX burned perfectly on the first candle which was scented with bite me from NG. Now the ones I tested today didn't do so well. One was all hallows eve from bcn and the other was candy corn from alabasters. Both didn't get a full melt pool and tunneled. So remelted them to try another wick. great CT but no HT to speak of even leaning over the candles. After I blew out the wick and the smoke cleared I could smell them, but while burning in 12x12 rooms 3 hours nothing. I'm not sure if I should try the next size up because even though they tunneled the flame seemed to be a nice size, but I guess since I poured 2 testers of each I have enough candles to try and see what happens. Well if nothing else at least I know I can make an awesome Bite Me candle.

Hmmmm....I don't know dixiegal. It could be a couple things with one being maybe the new ones need to cure a couple days or maybe you could go up one size in wick and see how that goes. Maybe change to a different wick altogether if the next size LX gets too torchy.

The other thing is just possibly those two scents are not as good throwers as bite me. I haven't used either but The Scent Forum might have some results posted.

Keep us posted if you will and good luck

You sold me on it, Ravens! I ordered some yesterday with his wicks! Can't wait to try!:yay:

It's a bit tricky to wick, will tell you that right off the bat. But try it in some tarts and it's one great throwing wax (or try what the OP did).

Good luck!

:-)

Understood! The tarts are what I want to try. Also votives. Hopefully his suggested wicks will help. What do you think of a little 4627 mixed? Thanks again!!!!!!

It's a bit tricky to wick, will tell you that right off the bat. But try it in some tarts and it's one great throwing wax (or try what the OP did).

Good luck!

:-)

Hmmmm....I don't know dixiegal. It could be a couple things with one being maybe the new ones need to cure a couple days or maybe you could go up one size in wick and see how that goes. Maybe change to a different wick altogether if the next size LX gets too torchy.

The other thing is just possibly those two scents are not as good throwers as bite me. I haven't used either but The Scent Forum might have some results posted.Keep us posted if you will and good luck

Had to wick up a bit to an lx 18 which seems really big, but its working well. No torch at all, sides are nice and clean,stll debating on the ht but after smelling the same scent for over a week I dont trust my nose, I'm using CS wicks and I would swear their LX's are smaller than the ones I've ordered before from BCN.

Edited by dixiegal