How do you know?...

Any candle should burn well (not too fast or slow), should have a good cold and hot throw (if it's a fragranced candle). The wick shouldn't drown or be a flamethrower. If you are making pillars and votives, the candle shouldn't gutter. You need to become good friends with the search feature. Stop worrying about packaging and business names and learn to make a good SAFE candle. It's the same as me saying "I want to open a bakery. I want to be as big as Ace of Cakes or Cake Boss" when I've never baked a cake.

Sounds bad, but when they do what I want them to do. Votives, you don't want them to burn up too quickly and how you burn them can either help with the time or hurt it. Tight fitting votive holders are the way to do. There are several pretty holders, but don't get caught up in beauty because they will likely kill your burn time.

Tealights, I can't answer. I don't make them.

Wax melts ... that they don't lose scent too quickly.

It's all really subjective. Compare something store bought to your reaction and then set out to make it better and perform how you would like it do.

Votives, you don't want them to burn up too quickly and how you burn them can either help with the time or hurt it. Tight fitting votive holders are the way to do. There are several pretty holders, but don't get caught up in beauty because they will likely kill your burn time.

I had a neighbor that was buying votives at an unusually high quantity ... good for my pocket book but it got me wondering. I found out that he'd take up to a dozen at a time and set them on a large dinner plate and lite them up......no containers at all. Well, they'd burn for a short time and then end up in a melted pile of wax on the plate. Once I found out how he was burning the votives, I talked him into letting me make pillars for him instead of the itty-bitty votives - he got a better throw and wasn't wasting his money on votives.

I probably cut my nose off to spite my face here but I do take pride in the candles I produce and will bend over backwards to provide the customer with the best possible product that meets their needs.

What characteristics do YOU want in a good candle that you would purchase? That would be my starting point. You state you are making votives. My standards for votives was to have great hot throw, even burning in a proper votive container (which should be a close fitting container) and long lasting 12-15 hours.