Presto Pots

Jeanie, if you have other Prestos, try using a different cord (the actual cord & magnetic connector) and thermostat (the part with the dial and rod that inserts into the base of the pot) in the pot that's giving you trouble. If the problem vanishes, see whether it's the cord part or the thermostat part. Once you have isolated which part is giving you problems, you can order a replacement from Presto.

For general info:

There are 4 parts to a standard Presto: the lid, the kettle, the thermostat and the breakaway magnetic cord.

The lid: I don't ever use the lid while heating wax. It should be used only to cover the pot after use for keeping out dust & debris. The reason is because tiny specks and spatters of wax from the rim of the lid melt and seep onto the outside of the pot where they can run into areas of concern if not noticed and completely wiped away.

The kettle: the kettle is completely intact on the inside. It will not leak from inside. I never use a spigot on mine because sooner or later it WILL leak. The only area of concern on the kettle is wax dripped near the handles where it can drip further down to the bottom or into the hole where the heating rod plugs to heat the electric element inside (the raised round thing on the bottom that's encased in the metal of the pot). THAT is a vulnerable area which should be inspected and cleaned often. A Q-tip works. A bamboo skewer wrapped in a paper towel or cotton ball also works.

The thermostat: this is the most vulnerable part of a Presto to wax drips. It cannot be immersed to wash it. You simply must keep all drips off it and wipe any which occur quickly and thoroughly. Remember that a speck of unmelted wax matters because it melts!

The magnetic break-away cord: This is a vulnerable part because it cannot be immersed to clean it and any drips directly on it or from other components (ie. the thermostat) can seep inside it and compromise the connection inside. Keep it wiped and protected from drips.

The problems being reported in this thread are all due to wax accumulation from leaks, little splatters & drips. Even one drop or wax flake will liquefy and find its way into all kinds of locations on the exterior of the pot. The liquid wax can run down into the area where it plugs in and from there, into the encased heating element.

I am fanatic about wiping the exterior of my Prestos often during use and when I finish with them while they are still warm. I do not designate pots for different wax types - they've all melted palm & soy waxes. What matters is MAINTENANCE.

REMEMBER EVERYONE: Prestos were not manufactured to melt wax! They are supposed to be used for home cooking. They were not designed to be used for hours and hours on a daily basis, as with a commercial kitchen appliance. They were not meant to be drilled and have a spigot installed. Having said that, they are very simple appliances which will give years and years of hard service beyond their design if they have careful maintenance. HTH :smiley2:

Thanks Stella for all the good info.....This is the only Presto I have. Unfortunately, I was only fanatic about cleaning out the inside after each use and wiping down the sides only where it might drip on the work surface but nothing else. My bad.

I picked a regular one and had hubby modify it for me. It is strange b/c it was working perfect until I used it for Palm. I do really think I had wax built up in there and the high melting temps for Palm made all that wax liquify and go into all the places it shouldn't of went.

So right in that they were not made for wax. Many, many of my kitchen utensils, pots, double boilers, etc. have become wax utensils over the years but its fine with me since I like whipping up stuff with wax a whole lot more than I like whipping up stuff for food cooking :)

I do really think I had wax built up in there and the high melting temps for Palm made all that wax liquify and go into all the places it shouldn't of went.
If the pot was hot enough to melt the wax, raising it a little more wouldn't change that the wax was already there in liquid form. I think that was coincidental to the build-up hitting a critical level.

Palm wax is more powdery than is soy wax, so it's easier to spread the dry wax around the pouring area. Even though it looks like "dust," it is meltable dust. Soy flakes are a problem, too. When I weigh wax to put in the Presto to melt, I don't just pour the wax from the container in which I weighed it - I "place" it in the Presto, like one would flour in a mixing bowl. If you pour it, it makes dust... if you carefully place it, it doesn't "dust up."

One thing is for sure: It's hard to crank out a lot of candles without making a mess. I do a "clean up" every so often and wipe everything in the candle room down, change the paper which covers my pouring table, vacuum & dust everything, heat up the Prestos and wipe them down well, and generally detail everything so that I can turn around and mess it all up again! LOLOL

If the pot was hot enough to melt the wax, raising it a little more wouldn't change that the wax was already there in liquid form. I think that was coincidental to the build-up hitting a critical level.

Palm wax is more powdery than is soy wax, so it's easier to spread the dry wax around the pouring area. Even though it looks like "dust," it is meltable dust. Soy flakes are a problem, too. When I weigh wax to put in the Presto to melt, I don't just pour the wax from the container in which I weighed it - I "place" it in the Presto, like one would flour in a mixing bowl. If you pour it, it makes dust... if you carefully place it, it doesn't "dust up."

One thing is for sure: It's hard to crank out a lot of candles without making a mess. I do a "clean up" every so often and wipe everything in the candle room down, change the paper which covers my pouring table, vacuum & dust everything, heat up the Prestos and wipe them down well, and generally detail everything so that I can turn around and mess it all up again! LOLOL

You aren't kidding it is more like a powder type than soy. I missed a little one day transferring it from the big bag into the bowl and I had this stuff rolling/floating everywhere. Even the broom couldn't get it all so I had to drag the vacuum out.

Ewwww....I was hoping it was the high melting temp used for Palm. Now I am really concerned my Presto is on its last legs. I really could use another anyway so this might be the perfect time (excuse) to get one just in case. Or, maybe introduce the Nesco to wax.

Edited by jeanie353

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does anyone use the presto pot with soy wax? I only ask cause I'm looking at pictures and looking at the temperature gauge and it starts off with warm then 200. Does anyone have any problems with heat issues? I plan on using palm and soy, I know palm has a higher melting point the soy but will it be too hot for soy?

I use my Prestos with both soy and palm wax. I don't think the thermostats have ever been higher than 200°F. Play with it and keep a thermometer in the pot so you can see where on your dial the temp is just right - but keep your eye on the thermometer anyway!

I have 3 presto pots, and I invested in 2 more awhile back when I found out they were going to make them smaller. I've still got 2 of the original size ones in boxes so when my other 3 go kaput, I can replace them. I've also used JB weld and have spigots on them, which makes it so much easier--no ladling here! I've melted paraffin, soy, pillar, and palm in mine without any problems. I have noticed the older thermostats don't work as accurately, but I ALWAYS clip a thermometer on the inside edge of every pot so I know what the actual temperature of the wax is. Melt my wax and additives in the Presto pots, pour it into my pouring pots, add scent and dye, stir, bring it to the temperature I want, then pour into warm jars.

• 2 weeks later...

Ebay is a good source of melting pots. Generally the better ones which we have are older conversions. It is a large aluminum pot with a spigot and heated with the Presto heater mounted underneath. We have two. They hold 18 pounds of wax and melts it in about 15 minutes. It has quadrupled our candle output. We have one for paraffin and one for palm. I couldn't do without them now. I use wax so fast, keeping it a constant temperature is difficult so I use the stove to put in my chemicals, dyes and fragrances. Best to keep a pan under the spigot because it tends to drip a little right after a pour. I have tried to put all in the pot with a ready to pour in the mold temperature but one mistake can ruin 18 pounds of wax. I can measure because 1 inch equals 2 lbs of wax. They also are hot and may raise a few blisters when changing colors.