Supplier "requesting"/ requiring donation at checkout?

MissMori

I just purchased from a supplier many people use. I noticed at check out, where I got the total for the order, shipping & handling charges and taxes, that there was a line for "donation." I searched the site and couldn't find who the donation goes to or anything regarding the cause. I will admit I didn't look at every page of the website, they don't have a faq page, but I checked all the pages that make sense.

Anyway, there's wasn't a way to opt out of the donation on the order confirmation page. There may have been a place to opt out on a prior page... check out process was several pages long, perhaps 8 pages. I am distracted, I have 2 kids running around at the moment, so it could have been there, but I didn't see an opt out.

Not being able to order without donating makes me uneasy. It was tiny, rounded to the nearest dollar. I have no way of knowing if this is the usual practice. Other than rounding to the nearest dollar, how do they decide what the donation should be? More importantly, who is the donation going to?

That donation fee has been on WSP's website for a long time. If you look at the final page of the checkout, on the right hand side is a box with the word AUTISM in it and a drop down box that says donation. Click the drop down box and select "no donation" if you choose not to donate.

Good thing it wasn't a snake, eh?

When I used to order from WSP, I had no problem with the donation for Autism option being at checkout. My issue was that the donation amount was automatic unless you unchecked the donation box to NO DONATION first. I think that NO DONATION should be automatic.

That donation fee has been on WSP's website for a long time. If you look at the final page of the checkout, on the right hand side is a box with the word AUTISM in it and a drop down box that says donation. Click the drop down box and select "no donation" if you choose not to donate.

Good thing it wasn't a snake, eh?

Thanks... good thing it wasn't a snake.