Just wanted to get an opinion on this...

Did you have a pretty deep melt pool before you extinguished?

My guess is that if you did a power burn and you had a deep melt pool, then once your candle cooled off, the melt pool contracted as it cooled, exposing more unburned wick.

That is a good example of just how much wax expands when it warms up.

Hmmm, my post didn't take. Ok, I'll retype.

Jonsie, good call. I think shrinkage can be a part of this. I see the sides are clean and the solid top is clearly wall to wall. I'm guessing there was about a 1/4 inch liquid pool on the sides.

What gets me is that the center of the wax doesn't have a mound around the wick like would be expected if it shrank a lot. Looks like single pour wax or not that deep of a pool.

I have seen some wick pull the wax up pretty high before igniting. Next time you burn, look at the distance between the bottom of the flame and the top of the melt pool around the wick. I've seen wicks like P-160, etc, burn a good 1/8 inch above the pool, exposing unburned wick. Could be the core in that wick is doing an outstanding job of lifting the wax.

Edited by EricofAZ