Water-jacket Wax melter thermostat

I purchased a used water-jacket wax melter last fall off craigslist and yesterday when I turned it on it rattled and banged and I even saw sparks shoot through the water where you fill it. Now the thermostat is not working :sad2:. Anyone have any experience with replacing parts on these or will I have to replace the whole thermostat? C&S has them for $220. :sad2::sad2: The day prior it blew the breaker 2 times. I'm wondering if the hot weather had something to do with it as it is in my garage?

The heat will not affect your electrical appliances. Do not use your wax melter anymore! Unplug it! At least until you know what the problem is and get it fixed. It sounds like you may have a short with your heating element to me. Epecially since you are seeing sparks, there is a definite short in the system. I don't have any experience with this type of product, but I do have experience with electric in general and you need to service it before you plug it back in. You can test it yourself with some basic electrical knowledge. The way I learned was "Barnes & Nobles" and "Google". I know it's not much help, but please don't try to use it again until it's fixed!

Mine trips the breaker if I have it on the same circuit as the frige and heater, so I have to run a cord from a different circuit, then I can have all running at the same time. To many appliances running will usually do that.Mine just bit the dust last fall, so I have to get it looked at too. I've been just using my turkey fryer and presto pot since then. I will let you know if I find a cheaper route to getting a new unit.

So I emptied the water from the melter today and removed the heater. I could not believe it, the copper element just fell apart, literally.

Does using distilled water make the elements last longer?

Absolutely, especially if you have hard water, works the same with you water heater too. A water softener is a wonderful but distilled water should work fine.

Does using distilled water make the elements last longer?

I filled my wax melter with vegetable oil. A bit expensive at first but I have not had to add water in two years and do not have any corrosion or steam problems anymore.

P.S. buy your oil from a wholesale supplier and you can get it relatively cheap

Edited by beekeeper_sd

• 2 weeks later...

Is not the most important purpose of a water jacketed wax melter that pure water can never get above 212 degrees, therefore eliminating the risk that the wax can severly overheat and flash???

Be careful using any kind of oil in place of water. If your not careful the thing will ignite and burn your house down...

• 2 weeks later...