What makes a fragrance oil "Smell like Soap"?

coconut

I'm comparing Orange Blossom FO from different suppliers. I like the Cierra version. The one from Peaks smelled like soap to me. I can't put my finger on that scent, but I don't like it. What are your thoughts on that? TIA

I had that happen to me once about a year ago when I purchased a Red Hot Cinnamon fo from Berts......of all the scents to have a soapy smell to it....was very odd to me and I could not get past that soapy odor that it had. I never used the oil and have to say it's the only fo I baught from Bert that I couldn't stand.

I'm not much help as to why that would happen....sorry...but needless to say I chucked it out

Thank you both. Oddly enough, I am allergic to the scents they use in commercial soaps. That is the "soapy" smell I am referring to. It isn't a specific scent, just the overall thing that overwhelms you in the detergent aisle at the supermarket. dnj knows what I mean. It is weird.

I sure do know what you mean coconut......can't put my finger on the odd odor but I know I just didn't like it so from now on when I make Red Hot Cinnamon Candy scented candles I stick with the CS version :)

I've about given up asking DH's opinion on fragrance. Everything I ask him about he says smells like soap. He even does that with my perfume, not one's that I have made. The ONLY two fragrances that isn't soap to him is Lilac or Bert's Redwood and Cedar. It's almost like a running joke now.

It also seems like some of us notice it more than others. My friend thought a certain scent was soapy and I didn't notice it. Hm.

I think that some people perceive almost everything as "soapy" when holding a bar of soap to their nose. I have noticed that there is a difference between a finished bar smelling like "soap" and a bottle of fragrance oil smelling like soap. I have also noticed that there is a HUGE difference between the scent perceptions of soapers vs. non-soapers. I never ask my husband anything pertaining to scent. He has no clue what I am looking for and cannot describe scent. My friend is a soaper and her nose is a soaper's nose like mine. :smiley2:

Edited by Noodle