Wicking with HTP's

I have recently been testing the HTP's and went to the Wicks Unlimited website for more info about these wicks. It says that the HTP 126 produces a higher flame and larger mp than the 1212 and 1312. Does anyone find this to be true in their testing? I have always found the 1212 and 1312 to be hotter than the 126. Why then, do they (WU) list them in size order this way? Doesn't make sense to me :confused:

How strange....the 1212 and 1312 even FEEL bigger. Idk, I have a 126 in now and I think I need to bump it up. It has been 4 hours on the 2nd burn and still not a full mp. I will try 2 more test burns but even if it works I will need a next size up for my wicker uppers. Hmmm, what to do?

Can you describe the container and wax you are using, that might help in making some wick suggestions. I found that wicking up in a soy wax (3 inch diameter) with HTP just led to getting larger and larger mushroom wicks as I was trying to get a full melt pool. At some diameter, double wicking is a better choice.

I am testing a 70soy/30paraffin blend. I used to use (many, many years ago) a straight soy (I think it was 415) in this wide mouth mason with a 1212. Now, I am just playing around and wanted to see if the adding of paraffin would make it easier to burn -thus wicking down. I am not finding that to be true though. This 4630 must have a high melt point similar to the 415 because the wicking seems to be the same. Oh well, tis the season to play!

If I understand correctly what you are doing, I am doing a similar thing but with GW464 and IGI 6006 (para/soy blend) with a final mix of 80/20 and yes, I can use the same wick and wick sizes as I do with just plain 464. In this case, I am using CD wicks. I used to like HPTs with soy but that was CD-Advanced, they don't seem to work as well in the 464, hence the wick change.

Edited by rjdaines