Will Vybar help for hot weather shipping?

Hoping candlemakers can answer this for me. 90% of the time, my tarts (most are in various shapes, mini donuts, bundt cakes, ice scream scoops, cookies, scallops, etc.) travels just fine via mail in extremely hot weather. I read that Vybar hardens wax. Does hardening wax also mean it raises the melt point? I can't seem to find that answer on line and thought the use of Vybar might be more prevalent among candlemakers vs the Wickless board. If Vybar raises melt point, might help with hot weather shipping for my tarts.

Thanks!

What wax are you using, AW? If you are using a soy-based wax, it would be more appropriate to use some stearic acid or palm wax to harden soy. For paraffin, I haven't a clue, but others more knowledgeable will chime in with their suggestions.

Hardening does not necessarily mean a higher melt point, but I'd be hard pressed to give an example where this isn't so. Melt point is the point where the wax changes from a solid state to a liquid. For soy and many paraffin waxes, there is a grey area where the wax isn't liquid or melting, but it is much softer and can undergo deformation or other undesirable cosmetic changes. Palm wax is not a problem in this regard because it has virtually no "soft" state between solid and liquid and has a pretty high melt point.

Having said that, I would counsel you to consider the "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it" logic. If your tarts are arriving in good condition despite high summer temps, then I'd say leave your formula alone. If softening or melting happens and causes complaints from your buyers, first consider your packaging. How well-insulated are your tarts? If there is sufficient insulation but the problem persists, that's when you might consider an additive to harden the wax or raise the melt point. You could also consider shipping USPS Priority mail so the package would not be in transit (and subjected to high temps) for as long of a period of time. A last resort is to purchase freeze-packs to keep the package contents cool for 24-48 hours. HTH

Edited by Stella1952

I use vybar. It does raise the melt point. But I shipped to Phoenix the other day from Albuquerque, and there was still some slumping, even with heat precautions. I've been double bagging in paper bags to put an insulating layer there too. But I can ship to other areas of the country without much problem. But it's still possible to have melt/softening depending on where you're shipping to. Only other option I'm considering is putting some form of freezer blocks in the boxes. Just don't like that idea much.

You could also order some tarts (scent shots) from "Candles by Victoria" and see how she insulates hers for shipping. She lives in Texas & says she's never had a problem shipping in the summertime because hers are very well-insulated. I've heard she uses a lot of bubble wrap.

Thanks everyone. I use paraffin. I think the "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" advice is good. I do also sell lidded tarts in cups (like Candles by Victoria) and in my monthly newsletter I advise those who live in extreme summer climates consider ordering the tarts in lidded cups or clamshells.

Yeah, plus ice packs/ blocks tend to "sweat" & if you're shipping in cardboard, the bottom could come off the box (due it getting wet & the weight on top). Also, it adds weight, so can end up costing more. Ahhh freight & postage, never a dull moment!

Maybe reconsider when you ship.

That's exactly what we have to do. My customer in Phoenix is closed on Mondays, and shipping over the weekend is completely out. So I wait until Monday to ship from here, 2 day transit, she gets it by Wednesday afternoon and it hasn't sat in a warehouse or truck for 2 days.

Another thing you can do, if you are talking to an individual customer, you can recommend next day shipping if they are in an area that is very hot. If they don't take it, you've got less options, depending on your store policy. *shrug* It's a mess in the summer.