issue with batch

moon01945

so I made a batch last night and it totally seized up on me!

it turned to hard pudding in like 30 seconds and I had to jam it into the mold.

It appeared to get to gel stage, but today the top is oily.

I am thinking it was the FO.. I am using At the Beach that i got from sockmonkey a while ago. I love the smell! Just didn't expect that reaction.

You needed to keep mixing hon. I have Sweet Moon from sockmonkey, does that to me all the time. It seizes hard as a rock, I pull out a rubber spatula and do my very best to keep it moving, within about a minute or two it loosens back up on me and then I keep going like it were any other batch. I'm willing to bet you needed to do something similar.

You needed to keep mixing hon. I have Sweet Moon from sockmonkey, does that to me all the time. It seizes hard as a rock, I pull out a rubber spatula and do my very best to keep it moving, within about a minute or two it loosens back up on me and then I keep going like it were any other batch. I'm willing to bet you needed to do something similar.

Do you get an oily top on your soap with her FO's?

Sometimes, adding the FO to the oils (rather than at trace) helps; sometimes not. What you describe has happened to me several times but I was able to save the batch by continuing to stir as previously suggested. On the one occasion when stirring did not help and the oils separated from the batter, I turned the whole mess into the crock pot and cooked the soap, stirring often so that the oil would go back into solution. I was able to add color to all the problem batches and ended up with very nice soap from all the "problem" batches.

Edited by Stella1952

Could be just me or my recipe. I am tinkering still.

I made another batch last night with a different sent and made sure I didn't bring it to trace and pulled out the amount i wanted to color at that point. I am not used to adding colors and I definitely want to over mix from habit.

The mix still wanted to set up quick after I added FO but the not bringing it to trace gave me extra time. I am learning!! :)

the batch that was kind of oily doesn't have any oil on top any more and looks good. It is also really humid here --- so who knows.

Her oils smell great so I really want to make them work. :)

I recently made a batch of soap that seized on me. I am not great on re-batching so I stirred it as much as I could with a spatchula and then used my gloved hands to ensure it was all mixed well and then took handfuls and put it into my wooden lined mold. I let it sit overnight and then took it out, it was very rough and crude looking but smell awesome! I had used a rose essential oil. I then cut roughly into sections too small amounts (approx. a tablespoon full) rolled it into balls, I worked it in my hands first until it was soft and pliable. I am going to make another batch of soap using the same color but going a few shades darker and plan to place the balls into the soap loaf. Will post a photo when finished.

Cheers!

Cody Wellard

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same experience with another sockmonkey fo and its the only batch of soap ever lost. It was goat milk and the minute the fo hit the batter it went instantly rock solid. I'm to afraid to try any of the other oils I ordered from her. What's the deal?

Steve

I recently made a batch of soap that seized on me. I am not great on re-batching so I stirred it as much as I could with a spatchula and then used my gloved hands to ensure it was all mixed well and then took handfuls and put it into my wooden lined mold
Cody, when this happens to me, I have learned (from the wise folks here and elsewhere) to throw the whole batch into the crock pot. I continue stirring and using the stick blender and it eventually loosens up, then turns into something akin to mashed rutabagas. After it finishes gelling in the CP, I stir it some mo', then glop it into a mold. I drop the mold and pat the soap in to get rid of the air bubbles that form between the glops. Every time I have done this, it comes out superdooper. HTH
the minute the fo hit the batter
Steve, I dunno about any particular person's FOs, but after the first couple of times this happened to me, I put the FO in the oils after they are all combined well. Every now and then, I still have a batch that accelerates, but it doesn't cause much problem - a little more stirring; perhaps the crock pot, but in the end, it all works out well.

PS I am also finding out that when I soap at RT, I have more problems. When I soap at 110°-125°F, I have fewer problems. I dunno why, but this has held true using the same formulas, etc., so I'm about finished with RT soaping for now.

Edited by Stella1952

I took a heat gun to the stuff and of course the goat milk started curdling in the batter and it looked like my sb was a goner. The sb finally pulled out with a massive tug and I whipped on the stuff until it crashed in the garbage. I soap gm below 100 degrees and never insulate it so it was simply a matter of incredible acceleration. The bad part was I had my pops all ready to do a column swirl. Oh well.

Steve

Oh Steve - that's an ugly story. I'll bet you were fit to be tied! The GM certainly introduced a difficult aspect to the situation...

The bad part was I had my pops all ready to do a column swirl.

See? The soap KNOWS when one is going to try this which attracts legions of soap gremlins... I'm hoping to try another column swirl this weekend, but I plan to hide the dyes until the last second...