Get out of the back seat!!

Scented

And now there is a safe act cosmetic bill on the hill that again has major problems. You can sign a petition against it off a link on Essential U and you can find more about the bill there. Realize you cannot rely on others to speak your voice. Your representatives need to hear from you! Mine will hear from me for sure.

http://essentialu.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/07/sign-the-petition-oppose-hr-2359-safe-cosmetics-act-of-2011.html

Edited by Scented

Links in regards to the bill (post 'em if you have them):

http://essentialu.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/07/safe-cosmetics-act-2011-statement-of-opposition.html

Here's the bill in full: http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-h2359/text

Personal Care's take http://personalcaretruth.com/2011/07/safe-cosmetics-act-2011-sec-618-treatment-of-contaminants/

Be sure to pay attention to all links. I don't care if you hate the bill, love the bill, like the bill or are indifferent to it (if you are the later then you should not be making anything other than candles maybe IMO)

I agree if you don't care than you should be in another business or hobby but certainly not B&B. I would like to know where they plan on getting all the money for the FDA to come up with all the lists they are suppose to give us concerning the prohibited lists they will have in place when the bill comes in play. Where are they going to get the money for all the testing they have to do and people they have to employ to test? Not to mention all of the animals they are going to have to test on. The cost to us is going to be the ruination of the small business. Getting the info needed for the labels is not going to be easy, no one will hand over that info at least not for free! This is one I got today http://personalcaretruth.com/2011/07/ten-reasons-why-you-should-not-support-sca-2011/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PersonalCareTruthOrScare+%28Personal+Care+Truth+or+Scare%29

Where they always get it -- China or raise taxes lol!

This bill, as is, does not exclude soap any more and let's think of the ramifications it has. It's going to put more than us small guys OOB. To force everyone to release their formulas? How are we going to be able to correctly calculate all the % of a product and all the additives in that product and then list every single one of them on a label? I want to know where our protection is from getting sued because someone thinks it was my product that caused them to get the flu while they stood outside in 30 degree weather barefoot and naked and they know damn well what caused the flu wasn't my product. I want to know where my protection will be? I want to know what kind of loans I can get and not have to pay back just to have all the ingredients I put together tested so I can have a MSDS sheet for my product! I want to know why I am not privileged to get information about anything until I register my company when say I just started out! I want to know how I am supposed to know what everyone of customers does to that product. I will feel like Hitler if I have to constantly check on them. I want to know how I will know what's in their water system and how those chemicals will affect the way my product reacts! I want to know who is going to account for every known allergen in this world when my doctor cannot even do that.

I also want to know how in the world, when my body contains a lot of viruses and formaldehyde even, how I'm going to be able to test for parts per billion and how much that is going to cost and then if these bozos are going to buy my product, because those costs will carry down to my consumers. Then I want to know how we can ship the lunatics to Mars.

And then we can talk about what's going to happen with botanicals.

Edited by Scented

Be sure to pay attention to all links. I don't care if you hate the  bill, love the bill, like the bill or are indifferent to it (if you are  the later then you should not be making anything other than candles  maybe IMO)

I don't make B & B but I will research the bill in more detail and I'll sign the petition and write my representative to support those who do. I can't figure out why they keep going after small businesses when small businesses are whats holding this country together. And those who make candles may want to pay attention as well. Personal Care's site list over $1800 in Fragrance Allergen testing. They'll soon be after anything with FO in it. JMO

It is going to put us out of business but also make the prices of all of the soaps and cosmetics and B&B sky rocket not only homemade but big business's also. We will have to resort to the Black market with soaps! You will see my wanted poster on your Post office wall! We will not have any protection at all with this, just a lot of heartache and big loss from our years of testing and spending money for product development. Suppliers will be in worse shape and be out of business also. This is a no win bill for small business's and large alike, except large will have more $$ to test and manufacture, also they will have access to FDA info. I am not opposed to registration for all and inspections of facilitates where products are made and random testing of products on a local government level, that will help make the industry safer as most problems lie in bacteria and beasties growing in poorly made products under less than sanitary conditions. More access to info is needed but not to a chosen few who can afford it and make big $$ but to all! The FDA can not make our food safe, our meds safe, look at all the recalls and the deaths due to them not being safe, how are they ever going to keep this bill enforced and help the soap and B&B safe?