quick question before ordering-cut and curl

Trying to avoid disaster here--should a 24 ply flat wick (or #1 braided) be strong enough to hold a 3"x6" candle after dipping or do I need to go up in size? Wick breaking over hot wax would not be good but I'd like to stay as close to the right size as I can.

Candlechem has the 3"x6.5" star mold but they're tin (my reg molds are aluminum)--anything I should know about using tin? Peak has small metal star molds which would be great starting out since they don't use alot of wax but I figured I'd prob get more use overall out of the larger size and they're all about the same price. I have juice cans I can use as vats.

Can't answer the wick question because I just have no idea on that one.

But with the tin, there isn't much to know. The star molds fold over at one of the points, so it's not overly visible. I would suggest spraying with mold release though, especially around that seam. They will sometimes stick if you don't. (At least they did for me!) Another thing to keep in mind is that they are very very sharp.

I have been dipping tapers with 12 ply. The biggest I used was a 21 ply on a 3 oz (10 inch) taper with another 3 oz of dip and it was very strong. I don't know how much your 3x6 will weigh with the dip wax added. I think you'll be OK. Can't say for sure.

Peak has small metal star molds .

I bought one of them and the tips of the points are very rounded... too much for me to use them as dip and carve. After you add 20 or more coats of wax to them you end up with just a round candle (almost) and not much of a point to carve on. More like a hump so no double cuts and its very easy to cut into the core too far.

Bruce