Craftlister in trouble

Candybee

Just got an email from the guy who runs Craft Lister/Event Lister. Looks like he may close the site soon. I don't really use it that much but sometimes I can get enough info off of it to find a few shows.

I am not a member as I refuse to pay dues for craft show listings that I can find through my own legwork and word of mouth. But still its a shame the website is in danger of folding. I do know some people that use it.

Oh wow, I used to use that one. Haven't used it so much recently though. A lot of fairs in my area are outside stuff, and it's been horribly hot/windy the last couple summers. Think I ended up losing more product than got sold.

I'm working with a new site though called Art Fair Insider. So far seems pretty good. Think they're just starting up though.

I got that email too candybee. I used to use them a lot...and did pay for about a year but then quit using it because a lot of what he lists in my area isn't really craft shows. He will list ALL types of events. Some of the big car shows are in my area and I know for a fact that they don't have crafters there...but yet he lists them. Anyway...I think about 3 or 4 months ago I checked things out and wasn't impressed. I've found a couple of great shows by word of mouth...talking to vendors at other shows.

I'm also a member of Festival.net and found a couple of shows there that I enjoyed doing.

I didn't do any shows last year...just my Christmas Open House. I am planning to do one show this year...it's here in my town and it's always been a great show for me. The locals really do support this show so I will see how it goes since the economy is down. But...it's in October so people are just starting to buy their Christmas candles and gifts.

I got that email too candybee. I used to use them a lot...and did pay for about a year but then quit using it because a lot of what he lists in my area isn't really craft shows. He will list ALL types of events. Some of the big car shows are in my area and I know for a fact that they don't have crafters there...but yet he lists them. Anyway...I think about 3 or 4 months ago I checked things out and wasn't impressed. I've found a couple of great shows by word of mouth...talking to vendors at other shows.

You have been missing golden opportunities. All shows have vendor spaces. When I was doing shows, I did anything I could get my hands on (and during that time, other chandler were complaining about not having any venues). I didn't care if it was a car show, dog show, wine tasting festival, whatever. For example, being the only chandler selling Leather scented products at a horse show can be a goldmine.

As far as Louis, didn't he go nuts a few years back? I vaguely remember something really off happening, but my memory fades.

Edited to add: Seems like his car broke down, his phone got disconnected, and he had a begathon. Something along those lines.

Edited by SliverOfWax

I almost did a horse show...they were looking for crafters. Well...a few weeks before the show I got an email from them that they had to cancel the craft show part of it...lack of vendors. As far as the other shows you mentioned...the car shows are huge. People come from all over the country but the vendor spots are at least $1,000. a day. I don't have quite that much to spend...lol.

One of the shows that I did for several years at a community center also stopped having shows. I got a letter from them a couple of months ago that said they are going to start again. Their spring show sucked but their Christmas show...I did pretty good. So...that might be something I'll consider doing again.

Too much sewing and quilting going on right now Sliver...candles have taken a back seat for the moment. But...once I get out in my shop and start pouring again I won't want to stop.

Some of the best shows I did were antique shows or shows that had no mention whatsoever of the word "craft", and there wasn't another "crafter" in sight.

I always did think outside the box when it came to selling. If there was a place for people to sit and sell stuff, I was there. "Crafter" was not a word I used.

The quilt I'm working on is about 1/8 finished, lol. We'll share pics when we're finished. I've gone overboard on fabric just like I do with FO.