Suggestions please on my tart making process?

megandgarr

Hi everyone,

Please help, I am going nutso.... My tarts just dont last long enough. They start out great, but they fizzle after only about 3-4 hours (at least the majority, some will last hours into days, but that is the exception, most are only 3-4 hours). Is it my wax, the temp I am adding FO at, the amount of FO or all of the above?

I use 4794/6006 at a 50/50 ratio and I use a 10% FO load. I use digital scales & thermometers, so I know I am weighing and determining temps correctly. I use FO's from Peaks, NG, Backwoods, KY, ICS, CS & JS. Oh, and I use electric tart warmers (hot plate with the ceramic dish on top from either yan*** or candlewarmers.

I heat my wax in a presto pot to about 200 - 210. A couple of minutes before the wax reaches 200 degrees, I heat up a glass pyrex measuring cup in the microwave. Then I transfer my wax to the pyrex (I heat the glass pyrex so that the wax temp doesnt drop too low by pouring into a cold pyrex cup). I add color and put the thermometer in the wax then I wait until the wax temp drops to about 190-195 and then add FO, stir for 3 minutes and pour.

I have tried adding FO at 180, 185, 190, 195 & 200 , I have used anywhere from a 6% to 10% load, and I am still not having the success that I want. WTH!!! I know 190-195 sounds high for adding FO, but that was an experiment because I read on another board that the 4794 does better when adding FO at higher temps so I gave it a try, but I can not say that it has helped in my case. I have also tried 4794/415, 4794/4630, KY para-soy and not sure what else... Hmm, maybe the common denominator is the 4794?

I am curious as to what temp others heat their wax to when adding the FO? I have seen a range of anywhere from 170-200 degrees so I am just trying to find the best temp. Any other suggestions that I might try?. I am ready to pull my hair out! I have searched the boards (have been reading these boards daily for about a year) so been there, done that...

Thanks,

Well, I melt my ky parasoy to about 170 - turn it off, put in color, pour in 1 1/2 oz oil, stir and pour - no heating of glass nor stirring for 3 minutes. I have very limited time.

I let them set for about a day and start shipping them. Maybe you are getting candle nose from smelling so many scents? Did you give some to friends/ family to test for you?

They are probably better than you think -- we tend to be our own worst critic.

For your process, you really should be getting much more than 3 to 4 hours. Your process is virtually picture perfect. Have you left the house at the five hour point, go visit a friend or whatever for 3 or 4 hours and then walk into your house? That would put you at the 8 or 9 hour point. You might need to leave the house and reenter to really determine how strong your tarts are. I'm making the assumption someone will be home while you're gone, for safety reasons. If you can't do this, have a friend melt one and go visit them at the 8 hour point and ask them not to fry onions at the same time! Finally, there is soy in the 6006 which means they need to cure, I would say at least 48 hours. 72 hours is better.

Maybe, big maybe, it is the 4794. I make my own wax blend and every once in a while just have to try making a new blend. I tried the 4794 but I like 4625 better for throw and it makes my tarts a bit harder so easier to get out of the tart warmer. I think pillar waxes, in general, throw better than votive waxes.

I melt my wax to about 200 - 210, add my FO to my Pyrex (room temp, I don't heat it), liquid dye, and then pour in the wax. Stir for about a minute, pour into tart molds. I have almost 300 scents and 70% throw about 10 to 12 hours. 15% last for days, 15% about 6 to 8 hours. Rough estimates based on my testers. I don't use any soy in my private blend. I played with making various soy blends, all soy, some soy, a lot of soy, a little soy, about a month or two ago, just don't like it.

Edited by AlwaysWondering

Thanks for the input everyone. I am going to try only heating my wax to about 175 or so and try that. Maybe I have been burning off some of the scent by adding it at such high temps.

Ring of Fire, can I ask what temp you added FO when using the 4794/6006 blend and about how many hours your tarts would throw?

Coconut, the air condition may have some to do with it. It certainly runs pretty much 24 hours a day. I got in the car this afternoon after seeing a movie and the temp read 116! Burned my bum on the seat!!! LOL...

Alwayswondering... I am going to try mixing some 4625 with my 6006 and see how that does. I am glad you found a blend that works for you. I will be lucky to do the same some day. I dont sell but I still want my own to be great!

Barb... yes, I have given to family & friends, and unfortunately they said the same thing. They start out really good and strong but they peter out after only a few hours.

Thanks again!

Haaa! We're practically neighbors! I work in Gilbert, when I got off work today around 2:30 it was so hot when I got in the car it nearly took my breath away.

Get home to find my ac unit is malfunctioning again :angry2: Hubby is tinkering with it, but I guarantee we'll be calling the repairman!

I know the feeling. I got out of the movie theatre a while ago (San Tan Harkins), got into my car and got an instant headache from the pressure and the heat, ugh.

We had to replace the fan motor on one of our AC units (we have 2) a couple of weeks ago. And of course ours broke down on a friday afternoon AFTER the home warranty company closed for the day. Why does that stuff always happen over the weekend when you cant get anyone out to fix it?! Just Murphy messing with us I guess.

I heat my wax to a higher temp than you do yours, but I use a different wax, 1oz of FO pp. Customers tell me they get at least 48 hrs. (non-stop) of fragrance; some scents last nearly a week.

I also believe the AC has something to do with it, especially if you melt your tarts close the the vent. Cold air sinks and it'll sink the fragrance also; JMO. :-)

Hi Ravens,

What temp do you heat your wax to typically when adding FO? I would love to use the wax you do, but the shipping is just too high. Since I do not sell or make any profit, the expense of the shipping isnt justified for my very expensive hobby.

I guess I will just need to do a test and use the same wax blend, the same percentage of FO and just try several batches at various temps when adding the FO to see which temp this wax blend is best at.

The funny thing is that several people on another board that use 4794 (some as a blend) recommend heating to at least 195-200 and then adding FO, so I am inclined to lean on the higher side, but then at the same time I am afraid that going that high will burn off the FO.

I use electric tart warmers (hot plate with the ceramic dish on top from either yan*** or candlewarmers.

What is the wattage of the warmers? As I recall, the prettier ceramic warmers are usually 24W. The ugly plastic ones from Wal-Mart (CozyUps, etc) are in the 14 to 17 W range.

Tarts hold scent longer with lower wattage warmers. The 20-24W warmers are best suited for wickless candles in jars.

Edited by SliverOfWax

Megandgarr, I heat it to 200 degrees, add the FO at 190, stir about a minute, pour.

I feel your pain about the shipping, lol; it is very high for me also. Same with another wax that I love (the CBL 129)... shipping is a killer; however, IMO, it's worth it. These are the waxes that work for me. I occasionally use the 4794, but the scent doesn't last very long, and I need to add other stuff to it, so in the end I don't really save a lot.

Therefore I just grin and pay the shipping :rolleyes2 Good luck!