Make Scent FO review - my first purchase of samples

These are all OOB sniffs

Thumbs UP

Cotton Candy - as cotton candy goes, this one is good. My eternal search for Cotton Candy continues, though. Will see how it goes in wax but OOB, so far, so good

Dream Weaver - have no idea how to describe. Clean and deep at the same time? Unique, that's for sure

Buttermilk Pancake - love this one, best of the bunch. No berries, just straight up pancakes. Missing that fried oil note but delicious

Frosted Snowdrop - all year scent, very pretty, I think feminine, can't wait to wax this one

Devil's Night - very different, deep, complex, wow

Thumbs NOT SURE but more UP than DOWN

Banana - banana is just impossible, will use this for blending but not as single note

Sugar Cookie - bakery scent but not sure it is Sugar Cookie, don't smell the cookie. but seems strong OOB for a Sugar Cookie scent

Morning Dew - I pick up a hint of Jolly Rancher Watermelon. This is nice but I'm not falling over. Might be thumbs up after in wax. A fresh scent.

Pumpkin Party - don't smell pumpkin, smell cinnamon but not overwhelming, I think this is supposed to be pumpkin and popcorn balls. Maybe I smell popcorn. Not sure. It's a nice scent

Cappuccino Brulee - not as sweet as others but good. Not a brulee, more a coffee category

Spider Web - not a Halloween type scent, seems easily could be all year. Good scent OOB but might not be my personal type. I think most would like it, though.

Thumbs DOWN

Mint Lead\f and Chamomile - very true to name as it smells like you just rubbed a leaf of a mint plant. If you like that kind of earthy mint, you might like this. I could not pick up Chamomile OOB

Coconut Cream - nope

Banana Split - nope, I have no idea what this smells like but it's not good and it most definitely not Banana Split!

Malt Balls - gag

Mango Tango - picking up a fuel note or something

Raisin Bread with Buttercream - gag

Marshmallow Peeps - no marshmallow, not even good with a rename.

Woodberry - I think most would like this but not me. I get a very sweet, candy note. Almost like that deodorizer cherry scent they use in public restrooms. It's an undernote but I totally can pick it up OOB.

Edited by AlwaysWondering

OOB reviews mean SQUAT...IMOH

I completely disagree with you. I have almost 1000 oils in my inventory, sell about 300 scents. I order from almost 30 suppliers......just so you know my FO history. 100s of regular customers and add new ones every month. To me, 85% of the time and maybe even 90% of the time, the OOB sniff is a very, very good representation as to what will happen in the wax. Have I been surprised, yes, both good and bad. That is very rare. Maybe because I really know my wax, maybe because I only do tarts.

As they say, we all have different experiences. I appreciate everyone's reviews, OOB or in wax, and like to share mine when I can.

I agree that OOB are a very close representation of what to expect when the FO hits the wax. If I don't like the OOB scent rarely will I even test it. Thanks for sharing, I appreciate you taking the time.

Edited by Brenda (OH)

It depends on the scent. Some things are exact OOB, some bloom different. Since I blend everything the OOB scent is importaint because that's what I'm going to be using when I mix. Knowing how it will change when it actually goes into something is also something I have to consider. That said it's going to change differently if you put it in soy or parafin or lotion or an incence . . . and that's not even getting into the craziness that the poor CP folk have to deal with. So I think all reviews are useful. I would love to hear what happens if you did a sample of the no scents in somekind of base & if they get better.

There is alot of information that can be gleaned from OOB -- For example that the Mt. Dew has a watermelon note is something I want to know before I buy it. That the pancake doesn't have a berry note is HUGE information. It's not going to magically develop a blueberry smell when it goes into wax.

I appreciate the effort. I can't describe fragrances worth a crap. While OOB can be very different from the results when put into an application, usually if I hate it OOB, I'm not gonna fall in love later. There HAVE been exceptions, so I test the ones I loathe anyway, but they have to wait behind the ones that knock my socks off OOB.