If you were going out of business, would you...?

If you were a supplier and you were going out of business and one of your customers asked where they could get a certain supply from (now that you will be closing your doors!), would you tell them, or not tell them? I had posted earlier that atwixend was going out of business, and I liked their dyes and one particular fragrance. So I went in this morning and asked where I could continue purchasing these two items, and she wouldn't tell me :cry2: All she said was that we buy in bulk, and you can't buy in smaller quantities using their supplier, and I told her that was fine since I only was interested in 1 fragrance I would have no problem buying 25lbs at a time. She kind of smiled and nodded and said that they owned the fragrance formula and had a special product code to buy the fragrance. Unless you were planning on continuing your business, or selling it, (which I guess is a possibility) it seems like you would want to help your customers out. It's just a little frustrating, lol sorry about the rant!

You could offer to buy the code? Just an idea.
Whoops I didn't answer the question. In most cases I probably wouldn't give away my sources if I was going out of business, but I would definitely try and give my customers a heads ups, way ahead of time, so they could have time to find replacements.

Maybe she is looking to sell the business ... and the supplier info too. In that case I could understand keeping the information proprietary and transferring it only to the new owner.

But to leave customers high & dry knowing no one else will carry it? Unkind at best ... downright cruel at worst IMO.

If she is looking to sell her business, I would not give away any suppliers. But if not, maybe she is just being a power-loving DB, or she just bought it like any other customer and is ashamed to admit it.

Cheers,

Steve

Ok... I can understand the fragrance, I guess, if the formula is hers, she probably did spend good money on it and I wouldn't want to just give away my source... But what about the dye? Even if it were the same supplier as the fragrances that company wouldn't be able to sell that fragrance since it is specific to atwixend only. So what good does it do not leading your customers to where they can purchase the supplies that they have been using for years? She never mentioned that the business would be sold (which if it is, then you would think they would steer the customers to the new business). But I doubt that it will be sold, there is no mention of it any where and the real estate only where atwixend is located is for sale...

I think if I were going out of business I would supply my previous customer with the information. I mean, what would it be to me, if I'm going out of business anyway? If someone else could make a go of it with the info, then more power to them. I wouldn't give out the info if I were planning on starting up again somewhere else though.