Mixing waxes

I'm just wondering if anyone has mixed gb464 with EcoSoya CB Xcel with good long term results. I love the 464, but I'm getting frosting weeks / months later with some FO's. I also like the Xcel, but don't like the seepage issue. Thanks!

How much FO are you using? I know Excel can hold up to 10% but that isn't always the best option to add a full load. Also, are you coloring your candles? I used to get lots of frosting using liquid dyes. So I switched to the RediGlo dye chips and get minimal frosting.

Haven't used the Excel but I got great results mixing a parasoy blend using Ecosoya CB135 with no frosting or seepage issues.

Thanks for the reply, Candybee. I'm using 7.5% FO with no dye and getting a great hot and cold throw. ( in the 464 and Excel separately ). I would rather not use paraffin. That frosting just drives me nuts!

Excel makes a darn pretty candle, especially post-burn.

Can you post a picture of your frosted candle? A pic is worth a thousand words and maybe you could get more help.

Blending waxes doesn't necessarily repair any issues but tends to complicate them more. Both the waxes you use are pre blends so they should be fine by themselves. If you are getting great H&C throw from each wax seperately and love the look of the Excel then why don't you just stick with the Excel and work on the frosting issue by itself? It would be less complicating that adding an additional set of factors like another wax into the blend.

Have you researched the forums and read up on tempering the wax? Tempuratures for heating and pouring can also help with frosting issues.

You also mentioned that the frosting occurs in some of the FOs. Once you determine that a particular FO is causing a frosting issue then you can eliminate it and try another. Thats just a part of the testing process.

Edited by Candybee

Yes, I have always tempered my 464 in the past with great results, but recently pouring at such a low temperature (as recommended for tempering) yields a candle totally covered in frost. So now I pour at a much higher temperature and get a beautiful candle that may frost weeks down the road....very frustrating.

By the way, Excel is a new wax for me...no frosting, just seeping.

I found some candles that I had made months again with CB-Advanced, the tops were horrible, frosting and cauliflower-like growths, tossed'em they were so ugly. I know there didn't look like that a few weeks after I made them. CD-A has always produced beautiful tops at least short-term I guess.