Using peppermint EO

pixie

I am planing on making a 3lb loaf of cp soap soon and will be using peppermint EO (from michaels) to scent it. I've never used EO before and am unsure how much to add. What do all you EO users recommend for a 3lb loaf?

Thanks

pixie

Never used that EO (meaning from Michael's), but typically peppermint is strong and requires less. I would hope that Michael's EO isn't cut or isn't unpure. Rainbow Meadows used to have a calculator, but maybe I'm blind and not finding it. Anyway, I would use no more than .5 oz pp and that might be too strong too. I would probably start with .3 oz pp as a starting place. You don't want the mint to be too chilling, but you want it to be present in your soap too. Of course, this is saying the EO isn't cut. If it were, I'd up that to .5. The one thing is if you find the EO to be too much, you can dilute it by rebatching or shredding it to add to another soap.

Edited by Scented

I know this is late in the game but you can almost count on the EOs from Michaels to be cut. That doesn't mean you can't use it. Usually Peppermint EO is best used at 2% or less tho, yes, there are some who use it at 3%...um, can we say,"Tingly"?