IPM for diffuser base?

caryfh

Does anyone on here use IPM (isopropyl myristate) as a reed diffuser base? I had been using a premade base from WSP, but rising costs/etc., moved me to look for a recipe to make my own. I came across IPM at a local supplier and it seemed as those it was a good dilutent for fragrance oils. I've been testing two different scents in it at 1:1 ratio and it seems to work amazingly. In fact, it wicked up to the top of my 12" reeds within a matter of a few hours, instead of days with my other base. I'm just curious if anyone else has tested this out and found any negative effects from it. Like, does the scents seem to die off faster because it so quickly/effectively wicks up the reeds?

Wow, might have to give this a try. I've only used IPM to cut the greasies in lotion or body butter. But, it does mix well with fragrance. Wonder if it's lighter than DPG. I gave up on Reed Diffusers quite some time ago because I could never get them to work like I wanted. You'll have to let us know how your experiment is going.

2 weeks into the testing and the two diffusers I have going are working like champs. They don't appear to be evaporating and the scent is still nice and strong. One of them is in the bathroom that my 3 and 5 yr old boys share, and is managing to make it bearable to walk in there. Will continue to test to see how long the IPM seems to last.

• 5 months later...

@caryfh How has the IPM working for your diffuser base? I am working on a reed diffuser product and need some type of carrier that complies with CARB and is VOC compliant for California. I can't seem to find anything on if IPM complies with these regulations. If anyone has any other ideas to be compliant, let me know. I have found a few companies, this is one http://www.generalwax.com/p___P0925735.html that claims to have a formula, but I suspect this is just some proprietary mixture. I need something wholesale overseas as well, so that is won't work for my project.

For the IPM base that you are using. Is it pure?

Thanks

Charlie

I am just using pure IPM and mixing it with the fragrance oil or essential oil in a ratio that is the same as what others have been using with their diffuser base. I think it works great! The best part is that it doesn't have that rubbing alcohol-ish scent that some of the other bases I tried seemed to possess. It had no scent at all so it just carries whatever I put in it. I'm not all that familiar with the California regulations, so perhaps someone else can help with that.

Try looking for IPM not "IPG", but I get mine from Lotioncrafter.com - I'm not sure where you are located so you may have a closer supplier that offers it. Lotioncrafter is up here in Washington, which means it only take 1 day for it to get to me, and cheap shipping for such a short distance.

Oh geez, I guess it would help to locate things if I were to spell them correctly :). Thanks for the quick response, I am running low on my retail reed diffusers and I don't really want to purchase more (seeing I have to buy a case) if I could figure out how to make a comparable replacement product. Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

Could the IPM be used in the plug in air fresheners (ie from B**) to refill and add fo? I've tried with an oil and fo and no luck with any fragrance coming out. Just wondering- not sure if anyone else tries to refill these and what is best to use. THanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Plug in air fresheners have a limited life - the wick clogs, plus that wick is very picky about what it lets through.

Regardless, I'd not risk plugging anything mucked about with directly into an outlet - but that's just me.

The Fire Dept has the same opinion.