Credit Card Fraud Schemes

Just read a new article in Yahoo today re credit card fraud. Food for thought anyway:

http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-budgeting/article/112755/prevent-card-skimming-moneywatch

Skimming has become the number 1 choice of card fraud thieves and is a huge problem right now. Skimming is also the easiest way for thieves to get the credit card info they need and is more widely done than hacking into a computer base. The reason is devices are easy to obtain so anyone can do it whereas hacking requires a lot of computer expertise.

Furthermore websites that accept CC are now required to be PCI compliant. I'm required to be PCI compliant and have been for the past 3 years because my website takes CC. It makes it much harder for hackers to get thru as you are required to have your computer and website tested on a regular basis for security breaches plus cc numbers are no longer collected at pos as they were in the past. I never see a cc number and as always they go encrypted thru my website gateway. Additionally I am also required to take a written exam thru my security program. You may have a merchant that does the PCI compliance for you. Which ever way you do it you are also paying for it one way of another. So if you are not aware of your PCI compliance check with your merchant to make sure you are.

A couple of our suppliers; Peaks and Candle Science responded to us about our concerns with their security compliance. I for one feel confident they are up to date in their website compliance and security maintenance.

I know a lot of you believe one or more of our common suppliers is responsible for your cc fraud charges. I thought so too at first. But for a while I have not been completely convinced that is the case. The threads with lists of our suppliers and who got fraud charges didn't add up. Although many of us have the same suppliers I did not see even one that was the common supplier for all the fraud charges listed.

Any card reader can be hacked very easily. This article says 1 in 5 people using their cards will get scammed. That is a huge number and it is not surprising that many of us have had fraudelent charges appear on our cards.

All I'm saying is its more likely skimming is the culprit. Doesn't mean that a person or hacker didn't get the info-- just less likely in today's thieves market.

Thank you for the link!!

As someone who has been compromised twice in 3 mos I find it definitely interesting and makes a person want to start using cash for everything like back in the old days!! :-)

Out of everyone I know personally..friends, relatives, co-workers, etc......I am the only one who has ever had their debit card number stolen. The majority of us use the same grocery store, gas station and post office. Which is the only places besides candle suppliers that my 2nd card had ever been used at. Not saying it still couldn't have been skimmed but I just think it's odd that out of almost 100 friends and relatives I'm the only one with the problem.

Oh..and I never use my card as a debit card...don't even know my pin number... I always use it as a credit card.

Truth is anyone who has ever been compromised will never know the truth! :-(

Thanks again for the link!!!

A friend of mine told me several months ago about using the credit card feature at POS instead while using my debit card so I don't have to use my PIN number. It can save you the headache of revealing your pin number but will not keep thieves from still stealing the card numbers off a scimming device-- credit or debit. But any safety measure is worth practicing to help protect yourself.

As a retired Financial Crime Investigator for a major retailer, credit card fraud was my speciality. Be assured there is nothing you as the user of a credit card can do to prevent being scammed. If you are a Internet Shopper, the most effective method of dealing with the probability of being a compromise victim is to "Have a credit card that you use for nothing but Internet purchases". The Internet is most probable location of being compromised. Your local grocery store, restaurant, gas station, etc. are possibilities - but will most likely be the victim of a hacker into their credit card processor's database. Never ever use your debit card for an Internet purchase. And if you should receive a phone call from a credit card investigator inquiring about a recent purchase, do not provide confidential information. If the caller is truely a fraud investigator, he/she should have your confidential info and able to verify it to you. If you're suspecious, call your card company's phone number on the back of your card. Be alert and suspecious of the unusual and you will stay credit card safe. J.Snow

Thank you for the link!!

As someone who has been compromised twice in 3 mos I find it definitely interesting and makes a person want to start using cash for everything like back in the old days!! :-)

Out of everyone I know personally..friends, relatives, co-workers, etc......I am the only one who has ever had their debit card number stolen. The majority of us use the same grocery store, gas station and post office. Which is the only places besides candle suppliers that my 2nd card had ever been used at. Not saying it still couldn't have been skimmed but I just think it's odd that out of almost 100 friends and relatives I'm the only one with the problem.

Oh..and I never use my card as a debit card...don't even know my pin number... I always use it as a credit card.

Truth is anyone who has ever been compromised will never know the truth! :-(

Thanks again for the link!!!

Its not odd at all. Skimmers are oportunistic thieves and use the skimming devices to collect cc information for periods of time then abandon it and move on. So its very possible one person can get hit while family members, friends, relatives, etc. didn't.

Again I am not saying some of you were not defrauded thru the an internet hacker. The odds are that some of us were thru skimming.

I don't see any Spam links! What a bad Spammer, LOL.

Steve

Hi Candybee,

Thanks for sharing this informative link about scams skimming here.

I have read and will follow these tips next time I will use my card to prevent from scams skimming.

• 4 weeks later...

Great tips to counter new skimming scams.

I always prefer using my bank ATM machine only as using other banks ATM is not only risky but costly also.

My friend was robbed on the gas station last year and I never use my credit card at gas station.