2 questions re: Citric Acid

Jennydee

Ok, I've got 2 orders of citric acid from two different suppliers. First, one is "large" crystals, similar to salt or sugar. The other is much finer, similar to garlic salt (sorry that's the only thing that comes to mind!) Is there a normal or preferred type? Does it make a difference? I made bath melts with the coarser variety, I loved them, but could definitely still "see" the crystals.

Second question regarding citric acid. The finer variety has some lumps in it. My brain tells me that, like brown sugar, this is from moisture - but I'm not sure about that. I can't break them by hand, I figured I would sift out the lumps so I could try to solve the problem without killing everything else... but does anyone know of a good method? Maybe beat on 'em with a hammer?

TIA - Jen

My only guess is that the first one is cosmetic grade citric and the second is food grade citric. I used to work at a spice factory and they had citric there, and it was really fine, with tons of rock hard lumps in it...and the stuff I used to buy from B&B suppliers was thicker with no lumps. Only a guess, but anyway, they both work fine, just different kinds!

Oh, that's something I didn't think about...

I used the finer in both bath bombs and some more melts last night, and I definitely like it. Although I've got some small melts using the coarse, and I find I like to use those when I'm looking for a quick scrub/softener on my hands - I'll just grab one of the small ones, stick my hands under some warm water real quick, and scrub away :D