My soaps aren't really selling

Hi guys! I wanted some advice to get my M&P goats milk soaps to move. My soy candles are doing great but not the soap. My candles are my main product and the soap is just a side item. Is it because they are M&P that people aren't really into them?whatever tips or advice is much appreciated!

I just went and took a look. I think the price is a bit high and also don't know the weight of the bar. Many love those fancy swirl colors and scents so I think you need to really "sell" the heck out of the properties of goats milk and why the soap is on the "plain" side. I can see you do try to in your copy but I'm not sure, as a customer, I can justify the $6.50 price tag.

I agree with AlwaysWondering, the weight of the bar would be helpful info., the price does seem a bit high. Have you thought about doing some even in just one uniform color that matches the scent? Also, for me personally, the scent names DO sound more like candles than soap. Does that make sense? I know for me, I'm more prone to burn WAY different scented candles, than I would use in my bath and body products generally speaking.

The soaps being MP have nothing to do with your slow sales. I think you need better photos (close ups) and as already stated- bar sizes. Also, the price does seem high based on the photo. I also think that "plain" is a factor. In my opinion, the plain soaps are wonderful and I am into them, but my type of soap preference is a very specific market. You have to target that specific market.

yep.. price is a bit high unless the bar is 6+ounces (depending on the market, some soaps you can get that for but its a specific customer and they tend to be looking for something specific).

The general rule of thumb I go by is $1.00 per ounce, plus a bit maybe for more expensive fragrances or essential oils, or additives like rare clays, botanticals, or- milks.

I dont agree that the soaps being M&P have "nothing" to do with the sales.. but probably very little. Very few consumers know the difference... but some do. That doesnt mean you cant sell alot, you totally can... but you really have to sell the benefits.

I use the same molds for my M&P. The soap itself is 4oz. I sell mine for $4 and always have a special of 4 for $15. My soap sells very well and the "4 for" sale keeps them buying soap by the arm load. I could sell them for as much as $5 but they just don't sell as well. But I sell a ton at $4 and its a good price as I buy everything in bulk. My soap cost is small enough I can charge $4 and its a good deal for me and my customers.

I agree your pic is not very bright and cheery. The soap looks nice but where's the packaging? Take another pic, this time do a close up and make sure its bright. Take one with how its wrapped and the soap itself so customers know what the package and soap look like. I actually do pics for each individual soap. On each page I have a description and pics of that particular soap. I hate drop down menus for picking a "scent" for candles or soap or anything. Drives me nuts.

I dont agree that the soaps being M&P have "nothing" to do with the sales.. but probably very little

GOOD soap of all kinds is sought after by many. I think that the fact this poster's soaps are not selling has nothing to do with the fact that her soaps are MP. I believe in her case, it is the way the soaps are being presented. I understand that there are many CP "snobs" and I respect that. That is one market that I zero in on when selling soap. However, MP does very well for me too. I think that you have to find your market and grab it. There are people that only want CP soaps. However, if you dig deeper, there are also many customers who do not think that all CP is wonderful. I am one of those people. I have used bad CP, so the "homemade" thing doesn't do it for me. I think the size of the bars need to be indicated and better photos. I generally like plain soap. However, it is a HARD sell for an entire line, unless you have a market that you can successfully grab.

Edited by Noodle

I really appreciate all the input for you guys so far. It does help to have an outside option. I will look into lowering my price. I like Candlebee's idea for the 4 for $15. I'll try that at my next show. I have made most of the soap already so I'll have to wait to possible to color my soaps later. For now I can retake pics and sell the properties of the soap. I have to have a drop down menu for now cause my web host has a limit to products I can post. Again thanks for the help so far!! :-)

Ooooops! His case. SORRY!

Anyway, I think a hard sell is that all the soaps look the same regardless of the scent. Perhaps you can come up with unique packaging and show a photo or two of it? Just a thought.... I sell a lot of lip balms and they all physically look the same, plain, etc... My labels are different though based on scent. I am wondering if this would work for you jackbenimble. We know that all of your scents are different, but subliminally, if the soap LOOKS the same, a person may perceive it as the same.

Ooooops! His case. SORRY!

Anyway, I think a hard sell is that all the soaps look the same regardless of the scent. Perhaps you can come up with unique packaging and show a photo or two of it? Just a thought.... I sell a lot of lip balms and they all physically look the same, plain, etc... My labels are different though based on scent. I am wondering if this would work for you jackbenimble. We know that all of your scents are different, but subliminally, if the soap LOOKS the same, a person may perceive it as the same.

Hi Noodle, Yes my labels are basically just like my candle labels. The scent name is a different color. I guess that was my thinking was that's how my soaps that do look all the same would be distinguished from each other. My other thing was all my soaps match my candles. So if you like the candle scent you may like it in a soap too. :-)

Another thing to think about Jack is to develop different soaps for a variety of tasks.

For example:

Gardeners soap - this is a soap that cleans even the dirtiest, grittiest, oiliest skin and hands. Another version is mechanics soap. Put something in the soap base that exfoliates the skin; ground pumice, ground oatmeal, cornmeal, seeds, etc. These scrubby soaps are a big seller for me.

Oatmeal, Milk, and Honey - easy for a goat milk soap. Just add in honey (locally produced if you can get it) and whole rolled oats. Run your oats thru your blender longer for a fine grind and in short burst for a mixed grind. By far my OMH soaps are my #1 seller. The honey is a natural humectant and skin softener and the oatmeal makes the soap soothing to sensitive skin and a great exfolient.

Herbal Soap - I get chamomile and lemongrass herbs at my local health food store. Check out your local store for a variety of herbs to put in your soap. The herbal soap is very appealing and you can match the herb with the essential oil or fragrance oil.

Shaving Soap - add a little natural powdered clay into your base and pour the soap into a mug. Add a shaving brush and you have a great seller for men and a great gift soap for anyone to buy for their special man, dad, brother, soldier, etc.

Thanks Candlebee I'd hadn't even thought of those ideas! Also I've been reading on different colorants for M&P. I'm still unsure as to which will work for me. (I know i will have to do some testing on my own) but does anyone have any recommendations or favorites or a place to start from?

I have heard rave reviews about Select Shades. I know Tradewinds carries them at www.tradewindsfragrance.net

The website isn't fully up yet but you can buy the select shades from them. They also have a color chart for M&P so you can mix your own colors.

Another great soap color supplier is TKB Trading Company at www.tkbtrading.com

They have liquid, powdered micas, and I love their POP colors. They also carry non-bleeding soap colors. You have to read a little bit about the different color types to order the one you want.

I bought my first liquid soap colors at C&S www.candlesandsupplies.com. I bought the color sampler for about $25 ?? not sure the price today but I've had them for at least 5 yrs and still haven't used even half the color up yet. The price is right for a lot of color choices that last a long time but the colors do bleed so I don't use them for layers, chunks, swirls, etc.

You can also get soap colors at Michaels craft stores in a pinch. I also love their sparkling soap glitter but that can also be found at other suppliers for less.

You can also use natural colorants. Paprika, dark buckwheat honey, onion skins (boiled), beet juice, cocoa, etc. Whatever your imagination can come up with.