Created Smallpox candles- updates w/remelts

Pam W

Looks like they have smallpox!! what a mess -- the brown one blistered and the lavender has pits all over with those wierd white blotches around each pit. The cinnamon one (brown) would have been a nice candle except for the blisters. Poured both at 175* into warm molds - don't know what caused it so I guess I'll just blame it on the weather. :undecided

The trusty heat gun won't fix these so back in the pot they go.

post-450-139458388664_thumb.jpg

this wax is the straight paraffin 140 that Peaks is discontinuing due to it's inconsistency. I did get a nice rustic with it a couple days ago (pic posted 'unexpected mottle') and poured these using exact same method -- but to look at it on the positive side --- they do smell good..hehehe

Top,

exact same wax and exact same pouring temp with nothing but FO. This wax is really strange - that's why I was so surprised when I got that nice mottle. I did 6 pillars yesterday and they all came out funky so remelted all of 'em & added stearic. They are alright .. so far...but haven't unmolded all of 'em yet.

After remelt & repour, the lavendar is now exceptable. Added the stearic and got no mottle, blisters or rustic - just a nice solid, smooth finish.

The cinnamon, after 2nd remelt, still had some small blisters and mottling was scattered but not pretty - it's in the melt pot now. Will do a cold pour & hope for a rustic but if it isn't in the cards then that damn thing will be a chunky by the end of the day.:grin2:

Had a 3rd one (sweet pea) that mottled too much - I remelted & added stearic & more wax to dilute the FO and got an exceptable mottle.

I'm into a new slab of wax now so maybe it will be better.

Here are the same two candles -- both were remelted and 3 tablespoons pp of stearic were added. Again, I got totally different results even though the recipe was the same. Poured these at 165* and fortunately there is no blistering this time...fortunate for the candles - cause this was their last chance to avoid becoming chunkies.

post-450-139458388995_thumb.jpg