Candle Recall

Bernadette

7.48 Million Tea Light Candles Recalled

spacer.gif

The Consumer Product Safety Commission has announced a recall of about 7.48 million tea light candles imported by Pacific Trade International Inc. The agency said the plastic cup that holds the candle can melt or ignite, posing a fire and burn hazard. Pacific Trade has received one report of the plastic cup melting, but no injuries were reported. Staff Report, PR Newswire 04/20/2011

Read Article: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/pacific-trade-international-recalls-candles-due-to-fire-and-burn-hazard-120268934.html

I have a box of tealight moulds. They have no numbers underneath and are poly or plastic. Never had one melt, but I glue my wick tabs down. Makes me wonder if I should just buy metal moulds.

On another note, it seems a bit overkill to recall all those for just one that melted. Obviously, I have a ton of questions about that one. Did the wick move? Was it near a breeze that sent the flame off center? Etc., Did it have a safety tab? Not glued down with high temp gasket sealer maybe?

Edited by EricofAZ

I have purchased Chesapeake Bay candles before and they are total crap! As a matter of fact I could not believe how the wick traveled after just 2 or 3 short burns(not powerburns). The wick was not even secured. The packaging was really great though, I guess thats where they spend their $. I'll never buy one again.

http://www.chesapeakebaycandle.com/aboutus.php

Edited by felixncharlie
added website info