Advertising a website

sherry

What's the link to your website. Viewing it will help me discuss it.

My experience with mine is that is mainly informational and not so much a place where people buy. I do have repeat local customers that will purchase thorugh it since I don't charge my local customers shipping. I get the feeling that when it comes to buying a candle people want to pick it up and smell it and hold it before they purchase. IMHO of course.

The majority of my customers that buy off my website are from the craft shows I attended. I always make all my marketing materials like my biz cards, flyers, brochures, labels, etc., with my website and phone number so people can find me.

Remember you are competing against literally millions of websites that sell just candles and at least another few millions that sell an assortment of items which happen to include candles so its hard for people to find you. Add to that it takes time to build a customer base especially in our economic climate. Ask yourself why would someone buy candles from you instead of Yankee or some other well known candle store? If the answer is simply handmade big deal. Millions of handmade candle sites are on the web and auction houses like Ebay and Etsy sell them dirt cheap. So why you? When you can answer that you have something to start with. You have to be unique not another one of millions and millions.

My best sales have come from me going out into the public and selling myself. My repeat customers visit my website when they need to buy more candles.

Be sure to include your website link on everything - email signature, all printed material (flyers, brochures, business cards, etc) and then have plenty on hand at shows (have business cards on you at all times, you never know when you'll need to hand someone a business card!), have a car magnet and/or bumper sticker made up, put it on all your vehicles. Do you utilize social networking sites like Facebook or Twitter? if not, you should be. Consider adding a frequently updated blog to your website. Make sure you've optimized your website for search engines. Hope this helps a little.

Be sure to include your website link on everything - email signature, all printed material (flyers, brochures, business cards, etc) and then have plenty on hand at shows (have business cards on you at all times, you never know when you'll need to hand someone a business card!), have a car magnet and/or bumper sticker made up, put it on all your vehicles. Do you utilize social networking sites like Facebook or Twitter? if not, you should be. Consider adding a frequently updated blog to your website. Make sure you've optimized your website for search engines. Hope this helps a little.

Very useful information and I would include make sure you register your website with all the major search engines too. Plus another tidbit I learned is use your own content and photos as search engines pick up on copy cats and rank accordingly. Also take advantage of key words and use analytics so you can see how customers use your pages and what key words they use to find you. For example, my number one lookup was for a particular soap I had and got a lot of hits off that one key word that turned into sales so it works.

I also started a sign up sheet for customers at craft fairs and markets I do. I ask them to sign up so I can email them or send out newsletters re sales and free shipping or coupon offers. I get lots of responses to those.

I don't really have any other helpful advice than what's already been said. It's a hard road! I've been soaping (not a chandler), etc. for 4 years and have had a website almost all that time. I'm on facebook and created a page for my business there too. I have over 169 "friends" on my personal page. I try at least once a week to say SOMETHING about what I'm doing like: "Made a batch of lavender soap today....making the little shapes was so much fun!" Even with this, plus ALL of the other techniques people have mentioned above, I still hear from FRIENDS, FAMILY, etc. almost weekly...."Oh, you make soap?" "Wow, I didn't know you made scrubs?!" Point being, ALL of the advertising you see on tv...the catchy or really annoying commercials.......that stupid commercial where you really wonder what they were on when they created it.....and the fact that you see them over and over and over again until you know every bit of what's going to happen?????? Well, it TAKES that kind of "in your face" over and over again approach to get people to really notice you and recognize you. :) Just takes a LOT of time, dedication, and realistic goals, I think...unless, you've got big bucks to hire marketing pros. Let's face it, most of us do NOT fit in that category! LOL

I wish you MUCH success though!

Email marketing seems to work well, so building your list is a good idea. Maybe offer a drawing at craft shows "signup for our email newsletter for a chance to win a free candle (or any prize people might like)" Also if you sell locally most of the search engines have free local listings.

There are a lot of organizations that support local businesses, see if you can partner with them or if they have advertising options available.

You can sponsor local charities or events that will give you exposure offline as well as hopefully a link and some traffic online. If you have a budget you can use Pay-Per Click advertising (sponsored links in the search engines). There are many more ways but those should give you some ideas.

Hope this helps.