How to Make Tarts? Seriously, any help, tips, links to other threads?

rachelb5499

So I'm a total Bath and Body girl. I've never done ANYTHING with wax as far as tarts, clamshells, candles, etc. BUT I have scents that I really think would make better home fragrance scents than bath and body scents. I already make a room/linen spray, but I'd like something that slowly but continuously emits one amazing scent or another.

I, personally, have done the oil warmer thing and though, I've enjoyed it.....I HATE the thought of possibly spilling oils which is why I hate the reed air freshener idea too.

ANYWAY, I'm curious about making tarts. What's involved? What's needed? How hard is it? What waxes would you recommend? Do you know of particular links to other threads on here that would already point me in the right direction? (I tried to do a search.) Where would you recommend that I buy wax for a tart adventure? What about colorants? Any issues there? Anything specific I should know about what kind of colorants to use? How long do you wait to "unmold?"

I'll show how uneducated I am. What is the "definition" of a tart? (I've never used one.) Is it as simple as what I'm thinking? Melted Wax, fragrance, color, and poured into a fun shaped mold...then placed in an oil warmer/tart warmer to release fragrance aka "hot throw?"

And ANYTHING else you can think of that I haven't asked. :)

Thanks, Everyone!

Pretty much all your questions have been answered already. Have you done a search on the word "tart"?

Actually, only Yank can call their wax melts "tarts". They have the word/name trademarked.

You've pretty much answered your question:

Is it as simple as what I'm thinking? Melted Wax, fragrance, color, and poured into a fun shaped mold...then placed in an oil warmer/tart warmer to release fragrance aka "hot throw?"

Yes, that's pretty much what a tart is.

Edited by SliverOfWax

Rachelb, apparently it's not as easy as that. Just read the Wickless section and that will give an idea. I have found a wax that works well for me, yet when some other forum members tried the same wax, it did not work out for them at all. Frankly, I'm a bit puzzled over that.

I made "tarts" using 2 or more different waxes, with varying degrees of success.

For example, the 4794 has a very good throw, but within hours the fragrance fizzles out. Same with the 4630. The 4786 mixed with the 415 gives me very good results; 464 gives mediocre throw that does not last.

My favorite is The Candle Source wax, and if you read the Wickless section you will find plenty of info. So, it is my honest opinion that it's not as simple as melt wax, add fragrance, dye, and pour into a pretty mold... yeah, you may get an ok throw, but chances are you'll have much better scented "tarts" that last a long time by reading the forum and experimenting/testing on your own. Good luck.

I have done a ton of reading and have learned that I need to try it out myself because everyone seems to have different results with different waxes. I chose a couple of waxes to purchase and I am determined to make them work for me. I am still waiting for my supplies to arrive but I will definitely share my findings as I'm testing. Good luck!!

There is great information when searching, even though the search function is a little wonky these days.

Thanks, Everyone so far. Yes, scent shop, the search function is a little tweaked right now. :) Ravens, thanks for listing some of your thought/issues. "People generally think any and every item is "easy" to make until you really jump in so I always like to ask what others who have done it really thought. Sliver, yes, I had done a search before I ever posted....just sometimes people have great bookmarks to certain threads on here...which makes it so you don't have to wade through every "tart" mention to find helpful information to just getting started. I really don't think I want to learn to make and sell these, just thinking I might enjoy making some to use up my fragrance oils for personal use. I've been wading through threads by doing a google search for this forum before and since I posted this question.

Thanks to everyone who responded to this. I read quite a bit yesterday and thought a lot and really........do I really (as a bath and body maker) want to buy MORE stuff just to use up some FO's for personal use? Hmmmmm, and let's think about who I am....I LOVE scents which is why I buy scented candles, but..............after like an hour, I get a headache and sick to my stomach so.....do I REALLY want to make and burn tarts/wax melts? LOL I've decided I'll just make room/linen sprays with my "home fragrance" type FO's and maybe come up with some nifty new "home fragrance" invention that gives long lasting scent but isn't "constant..." more intermittent.....like the air fresheners on tv that give a fresh "puff" of fragrance so often or the central air filter fragrance sheets or or or or.

SO.....with that in mind, anyone have any cool, new home fragrance ideas? The things I don't like about previous products.......you have things that can spill, make a mess, or have to be "out" in the open for everyone to see......or if you set it down without thinking the oil will ruin something.....other things require electricity or fire and are "constant" or for however long you keep em' plugged in/lit....but can be a bit toooooo strong. Wow...this makes it sound like I DON'T like home fragrance scents! LOL I guess I'd like something like "hidden" aroma beads, potpourri, cardboard ornies, or something like a wax melt that is gentler in its constant scent and doesn't have to be unplugged/watched.

or something like a wax melt that is gentler in its constant scent and doesn't have to be unplugged/watched.

========================

a wax melt WILL required either an electric warmer or a warmer that uses t-lites.....both have to be watched so you may want to look into aroma beads or potpourri instead of melts.

or something like a wax melt that is gentler in its constant scent and doesn't have to be unplugged/watched.

========================

a wax melt WILL required either an electric warmer or a warmer that uses t-lites.....both have to be watched so you may want to look into aroma beads or potpourri instead of melts.

LOL yep, thus my internal "dilemma/point." Thanks though!