brighter scents/midwest candle supply?

Candycane196

I can't seem to find anything when I search for either one except stuff from 2007...does anyone have any comments on their soy candle oils? I am trying to find a sage that smells like sage..and yes, I read all the searches on that topic..LOL

They have lots of oils at 29.95 per pound...so I'm hoping to hear I can do soy at 1oz/pound

Thanks,

Candy :cheesy2:

I don't use soy, I use a blend of paraffin and soy. I ordered probably 60 1 ounce oils from Brighter Scents a few months ago during one of their 50% off fragrance sales. I think they do that every other month or so. OOB and tested, most were off the mark. Not horrible or anything, just off the mark. I found a few that I absolutely love but that is maybe 5 or 6 our of 60. I ordered across every category from bakery to laundry to citrus and floral and dupes. On first sniff they seemed fine for the most part but when I compared them to what I had from other suppliers, the other supplier usually was better. For example, their Gain Original dupe is fine but the one from MCS was a smidge better. If I didn't have the one from MCS, the Brighter Scents would have been fine. There are some scent that are unique like Hidden Lake or Secret Waterfall that I do use from Brighter Scents. But each time I could compare apples to apples (or Strawberry Lemonade to another Strawberry Lemonade or Nag Champa to another Nap Champs), the other one won.

I know you were asking about Soy but I thought I'd offer this comment in general. Also, shipping is about 2 weeks from date of order to your door which is longer than most suppliers.

They really do have their fragrances on sale every 6 weeks or so at 50% off so wait for that sale if you do order.

Isn't this the Company so many members complained about?

Ravens, I think it was. I remember before I ordered, I did a board search for recommendations, etc., and seemed to find posts that alluded to problems but I never could find what the actual problems were other than waiting long for an oder. I knew it was a long ship time and was fine with that and at 50% off, I wasn't worried. I also have learned that some members simply have different expectations. I placed my order, received a confirmation a few days later (not the same day but I don't care), finally received a shipping notice a bit more than a week later and they arrived about two weeks after the order. I have ordered from them 2 or 3 times and each time has been about the same time cycle and email cycle.

They are unreliable, you may or may not get your order

they tend to send a slip for a missing item and then it may take you months to get it

if you get it.

But I did like the funnel cakes they used to have it was a pretty good oil

but not all are good many are weak oils

Brighter Scents, Creative Illuminations, and Midwest Candle co ( I think thats the new name they just changed it) are all one in the same

same location same everything

I use Midwest all the time and I take advantage of their 50% off sales. I have had one issue with them in the past 6 months and when I emailed them about the order, within 24 hours I got a notice the order had been shipped. I got it within 3 days. They aren't the fastest shipping, but I cannot complain about the quality of oils.

I use several of Gelluminations/Creative Illuminations/Brighter Scents/Midwest Candle Supply's oils. I definitely don't consider them a "reliable" supplier such as Lorrie or NG, where you know the day you place your order, it is actually worked on. We call shopping with them "the Crap Shoot". But when I can buy the oils I know work in our soy at $12.00 per lb, it is often worth the wait. I am always careful to make sure that their scents are not choices on fundraisers or time sensitive orders. I had a 1 oz. sample that took 6 weeks to arrive one time last year, but I had about 39 other onesies to play with, so I wasn't worried. The day I inquired, the package arrived, natch. Many of their oils have been great OOB, but had poor hot throw even after a lengthy cure. I am having great success with their Orange Danish this year, and still use their Strawberry Jam, as well as the Country Berry Hotcakes. If you have time, wait for their sales. They email weekly, and the special runs frequently. Shipping to me has always been reasonable. HTH

I did some testing of them a couple of years ago. They were hit or miss. But, since they were cheap, and their dupes were good, I decided to use them for tarts this past holiday season. For the first time since I started selling, I got complaints (three). People said that after the first burn, the tarts smelled like crayons. To me, this means that all of the oil burned off after four hour burn time (one tealight). I make my tarts with 10% fragrance load, so I imagine that the oils are very weak or diluted. I won't ever use them again. Also, I usually get a nice return from first time tart buyers but this Jan/Feb, I only got calls from a few people. I'm hoping it's the economy, but I fear it is because I used Midwest oils in quite a few of my tart sets - worst mistake I've made with my business since I started.

Eve

I did some testing of them a couple of years ago. They were hit or miss. But, since they were cheap, and their dupes were good, I decided to use them for tarts this past holiday season. For the first time since I started selling, I got complaints (three). People said that after the first burn, the tarts smelled like crayons. To me, this means that all of the oil burned off after four hour burn time (one tealight). I make my tarts with 10% fragrance load, so I imagine that the oils are very weak or diluted. I won't ever use them again. Also, I usually get a nice return from first time tart buyers but this Jan/Feb, I only got calls from a few people. I'm hoping it's the economy, but I fear it is because I used Midwest oils in quite a few of my tart sets - worst mistake I've made with my business since I started.

Eve

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am very on the fence about them; just spoke with my regular supplier about duping their scents that are big sellers. I am always worried about the consistency of the product, and do major testing, but a four hour burn on a tealight is crazy short at that FO load. I usually run about 9% on their oils, and if that doesn't work, I move to the next. I do have to throw another two cents out there; at $12.00 per pound (current prices~Easter sale) they are decent to do testing with for a beginner. I bought a ton of stuff from them when I first started in soy, and still use several of the winners. It provided a good hands-on experience with the different reactions of different oil/dye combos. When I found a few scents that I knew worked, I stocked up to do my "mad scientist" stuff, and this saved a bundle. just sayin'.

Thanks again; I'll be retesting any stock I have from them. One tester reported an issue with the Amber Romance, so I have pulled it until further examination.