ROC Newbie Question

All things being equal (i.e. equal performance in a particular wax type), when comparing wicks by rate of consumption could one make a wick substitution and expect reasonable equivalent performance based on these data? In other words for example, if I am using a HTP wick with a ROC of 0.18 could I switch it with a CD wick with the same ROC and expect similar burn performance? Of course, then checked with rigorous testing.

Thanks

I've used ROC charts and found that this is only part of the comparison story.

FH or flame height also plays a part. I've seen taller FH's with the same ROC compare to different brands with smaller FH's and the same ROC. FH has a bearing on how hot a container might get.

Then there's the pool diameter. Nothing is equal. I've seen multiple wick sizes listed with the same pool diameter.

So, I think you need to pay attention to all three bits of data before assuming that a different brand/size will perform like you expect.

I have a spreadsheet set up where the first four vertical columns are Wick Type/Number - ROC - FH - Pool. Across the top I have wax choices. The tab at the bottom is for the container / mould size. So when I make notes, I start with the tab for that container, then make the note in the box that matches the wick and the wax.

When I decide to select a different wick type that might be similar, but a step up or down, I look at all three projected numbers (FH, ROC, PD). There are times I want the same ROC but hotter flame, or vise versa.