still confused about hangup

Is it really possible for the jar to be clean after burning without burning too hot? The closest I have gotten is a light film that I could see through left on the jar. It's not the prettiest, but maybe because I'm trying to achieve something impossible. Going up a wick size, made the candle burn unevenly and left more wax in the jars.

I am not using any additives, dye, or fragrance.

I am using a jar that is 2.5" wide and a jar that is 3" wide.

I have tested multiple sizes of HTP, C, LX, RRD, and SS wicks

Does anyone have pics of a properly burned candle jar? Maybe later I can upload my pics...thanks so much.

A wax buildup is wax left on the sides of the container as the candle burns down. Its okay to have some wax on the sides that catches up and burns down during the last half or towards the end of the candle. Soy typically leaves a residue on the jar that looks like grease or film.

The only wax candle I have burned that didn't leave any visable residue or film on the jar is palm. The jar looks like it just went thru the dishwasher after the candle burns down completely.

I don't mind a little on the sides. The balmoral jars I have are more square than round so the corners tend to have a little in them. I am really paranoid about hot jars. I don't like the container to be so hot to touch that it is uncomfortable to hold it. Somebody is going to pick it up and if it burns them, they'll drop it. So to me, a little hangup is the price of safety. The only complaints that I hear from folks are when the hangup is so thick that the buyer thinks they are getting ripped off.

The only wax I've ever used that burned clean as a whistle (dishwasher clean, lol) was soy in jelly jars. I was very unhappy with the throw, so I switched to paraffin.

Above all else, a customer wants a candle that smells up the place. If, after testing multiple wicks and fragrance loads, the candle smells wonderful but leaves a SMALL amount of hangup (much different than tunneling) or gives a tiny amount of soot, I'm going with the wick that gives the best scent throw.

Back when I burned Yanks, my biggest disappointment was tunneling (again, different than a little hangup). My second biggest complaint was sticking my hand in the jar to relight the wick and have my hand come out blackened by the soot on the inside of the jar. BUT...if it had a GREAT scent throw, I overlooked pretty much everything else. That was because I was a buyer who didn't know any better.

Knowing that the slightest difference in ambient conditions can affect the way a candle burns, even in you achieve perfection in your own home, it will burn slightly different in someone else's home.