Testing Tarts Question

CandleAddict_RN

I make enough to use up a 1 oz. sample. Since I am using about an 8% FO load, I end up with 2 clamshells and 6 tarts (clams are over 3 ozs and tarts are 1.2 ozs). I have a small group of people I use for testing, so that pretty much takes care of most of the tarts/clamshells. It is more of an expense than is really needed, but I am paranoid about having a really good product. I do not want any customers to feel bad about spending money on something that is a luxury, especially during these tough times.

Thanks! I'm just starting out making them and I made some a couple weeks ago and some of my co-workers took some to test. Waiting to hear back on how they compared to their "precious scentsy" tarts, lol. I only had a tea light tart melter until I bought an electric one at walmart and I don't think the scent throws very well in the electric one.

So, Steve, I know from several of your posts that you use Palm and soy, but do you use any additive when using 8% FO load in your tarts/clamshells? I used my own blend of 4794 & 15% 464 with still only 6% FO load. Can you load up a little more on the FO with tarts/clamshells since your not dealing with wicks??

Thanks for any help you can offer.

I make enough to use up a 1 oz. sample. Since I am using about an 8% FO load, I end up with 2 clamshells and 6 tarts (clams are over 3 ozs and tarts are 1.2 ozs). I have a small group of people I use for testing, so that pretty much takes care of most of the tarts/clamshells. It is more of an expense than is really needed, but I am paranoid about having a really good product. I do not want any customers to feel bad about spending money on something that is a luxury, especially during these tough times.

Wessex, can you please tell me where you are buying your clamshells that are large enough to hold over 3 oz? I'll love you forever!

I started making some this morning but making only 2 tarts & 2 clamshells. That way I still have a little of the FO sample left for a small container candle to see how it works in that wax also:smiley2:

I'd like to know what clamshell holds over 3oz also. I bought mine from LoneStar but after putting in on the scale and pouring, I could only squeeze 2.7oz in it!

I'm pretty sure that Steve's and RN's clamshells are the one and same. I'm assuming the weight difference comes with the type of wax used. I used a para-soy and can't get 3 oz. in either. The clamshells from ICS are the same one impact and panic sell. I've used them from all 3 places with co-ops, etc.

Love you bunches! What kind of wax as I think you pointed out in past that wax could make the weight difference. I absolutely fill to the top and the total weight, with wax and packaging, is barely 2.9 if I'm lucky.

Thanks!

I've been using the clamshells from ICS. Not selling enough at the moment to order a case from elsewhere.

http://candlesupplys.us/100clamshelltartmolds-noflatrate.aspx

I fill them to the top and the wax weight is usually between 3.1 and 3.25 ozs. They are labeled as 3 ozs.

Cheers,

Steve

Thank you, that must be the difference! I asked wessex what kind of wax he uses so I'll be curious if that is the difference.

I'm pretty sure that Steve's and RN's clamshells are the one and same. I'm assuming the weight difference comes with the type of wax used. I used a para-soy and can't get 3 oz. in either. The clamshells from ICS are the same one impact and panic sell. I've used them from all 3 places with co-ops, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
I generally use 8% for candles, 9% for tarts and wickless.

ymmv

What type of wax are you using for the candles? Do you use the same wax for both the wicked candles and wick-less candles? Do you also use a para-soy blend for your tarts in order to hold that much FO? .........Questons, Questions, Questions:confused: