Wax that burns wider than deep

Yes, it makes sense if you are asking about the melt pool. Part of the issue might be wick selection, but the wax definitely tends to have either a downward or outward pool characteristic.

I'm all ears too. Some paraffins have this characteristic. Most of the soy's that I've used melt down then out.

I rather think that one factor is the container. A container with a wide open top probably will take a wick that has to burn hotter to make the melt pool diameter compared to a container that has smaller opening and a neck. The latter would work well with some heat built up inside and a smaller flame which would tend to make a wide and shallow MP.

But I also think that soy's tend to produce wider and shallower MP's than paraffin does. Again, probably because paraffin transmits the heat more than soy.

I haven't experimented much with beeswax in this regard.

Palm needs a hot wick so it tends to burn down then out.

I was given a candle that had a wide but very shallow melt pool.

I am assuming this was a container candle? Palm wax typically burns down, to the point of tunneling, then out, but it has a consistent MP depth of about 1/2" with a relatively hard-bottom. Soy has a slightly deeper MP with a soft bottom. Perhaps your candle was a blend? I know nothing about paraffin or beeswax... Do you have a photo?

I am assuming this was a container candle? Palm wax typically burns down, to the point of tunneling, then out, but it has a consistent MP depth of about 1/2" with a relatively hard-bottom. Soy has a slightly deeper MP with a soft bottom. Perhaps your candle was a blend? I know nothing about paraffin or beeswax... Do you have a photo?

I wish I would've taken a photo! I had to throw it out cause I couldn't stand the smell of it. :) But I did like the way it was performing. Yes, it was a wide glass container candle - at least 4.5" diameter. The candle was a blend for sure (info said it was all veggie based blend), but not sure exactly what was in there. The bottom of the melt pool seem harder than softer, but was very shallow.

I wish I would've taken a photo! I had to throw it out cause I couldn't stand the smell of it. :) But I did like the way it was performing. Yes, it was a wide glass container candle - at least 4.5" diameter. The candle was a blend for sure (info said it was all veggie based blend), but not sure exactly what was in there. The bottom of the melt pool seem harder than softer, but was very shallow.

Maybe IGI 6006? Just a guess.

Good idea, maybe you can describe the wax.

Gloppy, sticky that leaves your fingernails coated with wax and regretting that you touched it?

Soft and sticky that is useable and can wipe off your hands with a paper towel?

Soft but solid and does not stick to your hands?

Hard and needs a chisel and hammer to break apart?

Clear?

White?

Block or flakes?

Pellets?