11 oz lead crystal tumblers: Are they heat resistant enough to pour into & burn?

I saw some pretty 11 oz lead crystal tumblers today on sale for 50 cents each. They were a cheapy brand, not Waterford or anything. The bottom was 1/4" thick, & the sides were straight & had facets like a 12-sided jar. They weren't cut with patterns. But a lady in the store said lead crystal is not heat-resistant, is that true? Are they heat resistant enough to pour into & burn?

Cheap lead crystal most likely made in China. That is enough to say "no way", LOL. But the cut patterns (mold made I'm sure) would lead to uneven heating/cooling and possibly cause uneven thermal expansion, thus breakage. Would not use them, even for personal use.

Cheers,

Steve

Thanks, Steve! These were not cut with patterns, but they were made in china. I won't buy them. :( Darn! They were pretty!

They had some straight-sided uncut crystal goblets by by a couple of high-end crystal & china designers, like DANSK & that Japanese company that starts with the letter "M," for $2.99, would those be safe? The walls looked thick.

Can I assume that most all Libby 11 oz tumblers are safe?

Thanks, Steve! These were not cut with patterns, but they were made in china. I won't buy them. :( Darn! They were pretty!

They had some straight-sided uncut crystal goblets by by a couple of high-end crystal & china designers, like DANSK & that Japanese company that starts with the letter "M," for $2.99, would those be safe? The walls looked thick.

"M" = Mikasa.

Does high-end crystal work?

Glass is manufactured for different purposes. Unless the crystal is manufactured to the ASTM guidelines for candles, it should not be used. You can experiment with anything, of course, but I sure wouldn't consider selling it.

The walls looked thick.

The thickness of glass is NOT an indicator of safety. Some thick glass will shatter long before thinner glass simply because of its formula and structure.

You can assume that Libby glass that is manufactured for candle use is safe.

I've seen some beautiful glazing on cups and plates that had lead in the glazing. All from China.

Can't microwave them, the lead heats up in the micro.

Can't use them for food, the lead is bad to ingest.

Can't handle them, the lead again.

They do make pretty nick nacks that might be around the room and visible but not in a place where people interact with them.

I would expect the heat from the wick flame would superheat the lead and cause the container to heat up more than is appropriate. I have visions of a wick tunneling down the center with the sides molten from the superheated lead container. Might leave a really cool looking "pipe" of wax in the middle.

Edited by EricofAZ

"You can assume that Libby glass that is manufactured for candle use is safe."

Thanks, Stella! But how do we know that?

Go to the Libbey website

http://retail.libbey.com/Products/Home-Decor

Look on the left side of the page and click on "Catalog Quickview"

When it loads, go to page 84 to see their Home Decor products for lighting.

Or, click on "catalog" to download their current catalog and see which of their products are recommended for candle use.

Another area is their business-to-business catalog found here:

http://b2b.libbey.com/catalogs/b2b/catalog.html

If you have further questions, you can email their customer service folks (below) to see specifically which of their products are manufactured to ASTM guidelines for candle glassware.

http://retail.libbey.com/Customer-Service

HTH :)

Edited by Stella1952

I've seen some beautiful glazing on cups and plates that had lead in the glazing. All from China.

Can't microwave them, the lead heats up in the micro.

Can't use them for food, the lead is bad to ingest.

Can't handle them, the lead again.

They do make pretty nick nacks that might be around the room and visible but not in a place where people interact with them.

I would expect the heat from the wick flame would superheat the lead and cause the container to heat up more than is appropriate. I have visions of a wick tunneling down the center with the sides molten from the superheated lead container. Might leave a really cool looking "pipe" of wax in the middle.

Thanks for that info, Eric! :) I guess if I put sand in the bottom they could hold one tea lite?

Go to the Libbey website

http://retail.libbey.com/Products/Home-Decor

Look on the left side of the page and click on "Catalog Quickview"

When it loads, go to page 84 to see their Home Decor products for lighting.

Or, click on "catalog" to download their current catalog and see which of their products are recommended for candle use.

Another area is their business-to-business catalog found here:

http://b2b.libbey.com/catalogs/b2b/catalog.html

If you have further questions, you can email their customer service folks (below) to see specifically which of their products are manufactured to ASTM guidelines for candle glassware.

http://retail.libbey.com/Customer-Service

HTH :)

Thank you so much for all this info, Stella! There's a restaurant supply near me & maybe once I know which Libbey Tumblers are safe for candles I'll see if they carry them. :)