Expired lotion

deb426

I was wondering what I can do with some expired lotion I got off the classies. I don't sell lotion, and I don't plan to sell it or even experiment with it, but I bought this base for personal use to mix with some of my favorite scents. (One of those spur of the moment purchases, you know how it goes).

Unfortunately, when I got it, it turned out to be already expired (August 2010). Can I still use it for myself? Its a full gallon of Essentials by Catalina hand and body base. Should I throw it away? Or can I add a little FO and use it?

Its just taking up space in my shop right now and I've stepped around it long enough.

Thanks!:cheesy2:

Well, first, I would NOT be happy to find out I bought expired lotion. lol But does it smell bad? I'd be kinda leary to use it that old. Maybe try it on a patch of your skin and see if there's any reaction? Sorry, I don't know a good answer :(

I agree that I would be pretty annoyed to have purchased expired lotion off of the classies. :mad:

I would never sell expired lotion, but I would certainly use it myself. Most expiration dates play it safe anyway, so I think the base would be fine for personal use. Now, if you were dealing with food or medicine, I would say to chuck it.

The seller didn't reveal that it was expired. I only figured it out when I read on the forum that Essentials by Catalina stamps the expiration date on the bottom of the bottle so that's when I took a look.

Kitn - I figured the manufacturer would just tell me to toss it for liability reasons. No way would they tell me it was okay to use it even if it was.

Lotion smells fine, bottle was never opened as far as I can tell.

Oh well, live and learn. Thanks for the responses everyone!

I would contact the seller and ask for a refund. I'll bet she knew it was expired.

There's one thing I have found out about the classies. If it's something that has a shelf life, search the seller's old posts and see how many times and from how long ago that they tried to sell that item, that'll give you an idea if you should avoid it or at least ask about it.

If it was still sealed it may be okay, however if opened not okay. I had some lotion for personal use from WSP that was expired and I still used it for myself, but when it went bad you could tell, it had an off smell, so I pitched it.

The seller should have told you the exp date if they were aware though.

HTH

I think I'm going to pitch it, not worth worrying about. The seller hasn't been on since the fall which is when I bought it. I didn't know about the expiration date stamp until I read about it on the forum later and then I was too busy with the holidays and fall craft shows to worry about it.

Looking through her posts, the seller only participates in the forum to sell things. Never once commented on any other thread, just thread after thread of things to sell. Only one negative feedback though and lots of positive.

Maybe she didn't know. Hopefully that is what happened.

• 2 months later...

As a long time customer of Essentials by Catalina I can say with certainty that they do not stamp the bottoms of their products with expiration dates. The code on the bottom of their products is a manufacture/batch number. Generally all of Essentials by Catalina products have a 2 year shelf life (except for paraben free products) after the manufactured date. You could probably call them and give them that batch number and they will tell you if it is good or not. Hopefully this helps.