1 oz FO to X soy blend?

Umm, this maybe a crazy question, but let's say you had 1 oz of a scent and you wanted to pour a candle just to 'test' it.

How much wax, soy blend, would you use?

I just want to pour in a container.

*I know scents have different throws....Just a quesstimate how much wax....

Thanks!

Sorry, us new guys. :)

I have 1 oz of a FO Pear and Pomegranate and I wanna pour a candle. Plenty of soy blend.

That's all I have left and I wanna pour it and take it with us this weekend on a camp trip.

And I'm getting ready to order a sample pack from Peak with 10-1oz samples.

So, I wondered how much wax to melt/pour with 1 oz FO.

Sorry, us new guys. :)

I have 1 oz of a FO Pear and Pomegranate and I wanna pour a candle. Plenty of soy blend.

That's all I have left and I wanna pour it and take it with us this weekend on a camp trip.

And I'm getting ready to order a sample pack from Peak with 10-1oz samples.

So, I wondered how much wax to melt/pour with 1 oz FO.

It depends upon how much FO per pound you use. If you are using a 1 oz. per pound formula, you would use the 1 oz. FO and 1 pound of your wax. Expect to get about 20 ounces of melted wax. So anticipate pouring for more than a single candle; I always keep extra tart tubs or a mold around to pour extras in. HTH.

See, I guess this is where the experience just comes in.

I dunno what my "formula" is yet....I just want to make a good smellin candle. :)

I want that for you also, but most importantly, I want you to make a SAFE candle!

Everyone here is interested in amazing hot and cold throw, but we all value safety above all else. Just utilize safe practices, and we will guide you if you would like! Good luck; 1 oz pp is a safe bet with most oils. Use the search, and I will dig up the good archive posts and put them out there. :cheesy2:

OK, 1st you have to commit to what fragrance load (amount of fo) you want to use pp of wax. Trust me, after 8 yrs, my mind still doesn't go to %'s as 2nd nature, so a LONG time ago I created a 'cheat sheet' for candle math!

To determine your fo load take the amount of fo you're using & divide by 16oz wax. EX: 1.2oz fo divided by 16 = 8% fragrance load. Most people use either 1oz (6%) or 1.5oz (9%) fo pp of wax. So ... if you want to go w/ a 9% fragrance load, but only have 1oz fo & want to find out how much wax to use ... take the amount of fo you have & divide by the fragrance load you're working w/. EX: 1oz sample fo divided by 9% = 11.11oz wax.

I freely admit that any math is something I should NOT be considered an expert at, but I can usually back myself into the right answer ... eventually - lol ... so those who are more math savvy are welcome to correct me if I'm wrong! I've also found that some of the 'math snobs' tend to put things in terms that an idiot like myself can't easily follow, so I hope I explained that as simply as possible!

HTH - Susan.

Edited by TxSioux
typo

Using the 'right' amount of FO does not alway guarantee a great smelling candle. Some oils just don't work well with a particular wax and soy can be very finicky.

For the most part a 6% FO load or 1 oz per lb of wax is what a lot of us use and then adjust from there. The right wicking and additives may also effect the scent throw.

Aside from making the 'perfect' soy candle you must also learn the cure times for your wax and FO combo. Some FOs may be ready within 24 hours, others may take one to two weeks, and yet others may take up to a month to cure.

Thats why we test. Good luck!