Wicks... so much to learn

Questions, questions, questions...

I have anywhere from a generous 1/32" to 1/4" hang up (soy wax right now, I have 150 lbs of it)... should I wick up? My container is 3" wide top to bottom. I'm using an htp 105 wick, which is recommended for containers that are 3" to 4" in diameter. Should I wick up to an htp 126 which is for 4" to 5" containers? OR should I find another wick, cotton core perhaps for a 3" diameter container? Maybe try zinc core?

I know, I know, this is where testing comes in.

I am using a 3.5" Variable diameter container and use a HTP 1212 which works well with the Ecosoya Advanced wax. I tried the lager LX wicks all the way up to LX-30. By the time I got a good melt pool the darn thing mushroomed like crazy. Dropping back down eliminated the mushrooming but brought back the hang-up. The HTP wick don't do that for most of the burn. Towards the end of the candle's life when there is no solid wax left (all melt), the HTP wick can get a little ugly as the self trimming seems to fail. However, for 3/4 of the candles' life it looked pretty darn good.

I am just about done myself. I refuse to be done with candle making. I would love to hear about what works best as far as the wicks from candlewic for 3' pillars. I almost have all of them. I should have let every one know it is the square braided ones. Please help.

I am just about done myself. I refuse to be done with candle making. I would love to hear about what works best as far as the wicks from candlewic for 3' pillars. I almost have all of them. I should have let every one know it is the square braided ones. Please help.

I should have said I use the EcoSoya pillar wax also, but I am still trying to figure out the wick size. Help.

Edited by TammyGCC
Want to give the type of wax I am useing

I should have said I use the EcoSoya pillar wax also, but I am still trying to figure out the wick size. Help.

I am terrible at this posting thing. I meant to say inches on my pillars and I used one ' instead of " sorry. I would really love some help on what wick size to use on the 3 inch pillars.

I'm using C3 to make container candles, so I'm not sure how much I can help... being new and all. Although, shopping around, I did see something about wicking up if you are using vegetable or soy wax. I can't remember which supplier's website, but they test their wicks using paraffin and suggest wicking up 1, 2 or even 3 sizes if you are using veg/soy.

Stella, I see you mentioning CDN frequently but I can't seem to find where to get them.

I used to get them from the now-defunct Just By Nature. They are available in large supply from both WickIt & Wicks Unlimited. I think a couple of other suppliers have them, but you have to check around.

CD & CDN (Stabilo & Stabilo KST) are the exact same wicking. The only difference is the acid-resistant treatment applied to the CDNs. They usually wick very similarly, in terms of size. If you can't find CDNs, try CDs. :)

I used to get them from the now-defunct Just By Nature. They are available in large supply from both WickIt & Wicks Unlimited. I think a couple of other suppliers have them, but you have to check around.

CD & CDN (Stabilo & Stabilo KST) are the exact same wicking. The only difference is the acid-resistant treatment applied to the CDNs. They usually wick very similarly, in terms of size. If you can't find CDNs, try CDs. :)

Oh Ok, That's great because I have just about every size of CD's :)

Hi, everyone new to site, I have been trying to find the right size wicks for 8oz tins 8oz mason jars and 16oz mason jars all using ecosoy advanced wax .the wicks I have been trying seem to burn to hot in the tins and in both jar sizes if anyone has made any of these containers using ecosoy advanded and what size wicks you are using thanks:confused:

Hi, everyone new to site, I have been trying to find the right size wicks for 8oz tins 8oz mason jars and 16oz mason jars all using ecosoy advanced wax .the wicks I have been trying seem to burn to hot in the tins and in both jar sizes if anyone has made any of these containers using ecosoy advanded and what size wicks you are using thanks:confused:

I'm a newby, but here's Candle Science's Wick Guide: http://www.candlescience.com/learning/wick-guide.php