Reddig-Glo Red Dye Chips and Stuff

I'm thinking about switching to liquid for reds because I just can't seem to get rid of the sediment found in the red and cinnamon red dye chips. I get from CS. I melt prior to adding wax. Pour hotter. Tried straining through cheesecloth. However once the candle sets up they are near the bottom of the jar or bottom of clamshell. I love the colors I get but wish I could get rid of the extras....

Anymore ideas out there or a liquid red dye that compares in color and burn.

thx

I use the red liquid EVO dye. I can get a deep color with it, but it still seemed to have a pinkish hue, so I sarted adding a little orange to it and it turns out more of a true red. I guess yellow would do the same. I tried black, but that just made it sort of burgandy.

Brenda

Whats your wax temp when you add the dye chips? I find I have to add them at 185 degrees or higher to fully melt and incorporate the dye chips. I also use the reddiglo cinnamon and red dye chips from CS. Adding at a higher temp is what makes it work for me.

I start with the dye chips in my pouring pot, pre-melt with my heatgun and then add wax from melter. Temp is anywhere from 180F to 200F....

I stir, then add FO....., stir again, let sit to cool a bit and stir again. It seems like the dye is incorporated but sure enough, it shows up in the finished product. Purple is pretty bad too, but the red and cinnamon are the worse. I use C3, not that it should make a difference..

I think I'm going to try pouring through a mesh coffee filter since the cheesecloth didn't work....

Hello Brenda, I have the same thing happening to me, I use the same chips and C3 as well and notice this also, I've been thinking of switching to liquid dye too.

I haven't tried the higher temp. of the wax yet, but still wondering if the liquid dye would be better, just on those hard one's like purple and red. Any comments welcome!:smiley2:

Edited by moored

I premelt/dissolve dye chips in the FO. I heat both to around 160°F before adding to my wax. I stir well to help the dye chip or dye dissolve into the FO. I do the same thing with EVO liquid dyes. I always strain wax while pouring to remove any undissolved material or debris as insurance. HTH :)