fo's vs. eo's

hotmama

I have always used fragrance oils in my candles but want to put together a line of Chakra and Feng Shui candles using essential oils. I realize that essentials are more "watery" so do I mix them with some sort of oil base, do I use the same amount per pound as I would fo's?

I have no idea how to make candles with eo's. I checked some eo's awhile back when I was going to do lotion but WOW the cost of some was outlandish.People in Ohio will not pay that much for a candle. Not the price that eo's are. I am sticking with my FO's.

Some I checked were $20 but some were over $30. YIKES

Alot of aromatherapy scents were eo's but there are scents (FO's) that are aromatherapy too and priced much more reasonable.

LynnS

Some I checked were $20 but some were over $30. YIKES

If that's per pound, that's what I always pay for FO, or at least mighty close. Maybe a handful for $15 and up, but $20 to $30 isn't out of the norm for a multi-note oil. Not at all.

As for EOs, they mix fine, but I don't think they typically have the throw. I gave up on them years ago except for wickless.

The price depends on the EO. Some like blue chamomile are about $1,500/pound. Camphor is about $16/pound.

EO's are often lighter viscosity than FO's, but not quite water viscosity.

I use the same ratios as FO's. 6 - 12 percent depending on the wax.

I do not mix the EO's with any base or any FO's. To me, if a candle is worth using an EO, it is worth having it as a pure EO candle.

Whether you believe that inhailing EO's has healing properties or not, we can agree that FO's certainly do not. So an EO candle might be therapeutic.

I've learned that many of the "aromatherapy" candles are really FO's. Check the price. You can't get a $16 candle that is a half pound size in chamomile unless it uses FO.

One test that I learned about EO's and it works for many (but not all) is to put a drop of the EO on a piece of paper and let it evaporate. If all that is left is a stain mark or a very small spot, its genuine. If it oil soaks the paper and the oil remains after a normal evaporation time, it may be fake.

The best way to know your EO's is to know who you are buying from.

I live near www.snowdriftfarm.com and had the opportunity to go over there from time to time and speak to the owner. His EO's seem to pass the test (try testing an FO and you'll see the difference) and he comes across as a very sincere and genuine person who takes EO's very seriously. I trust him.

There are threads on EO's around here. I'd like to see a separate EO forum under "Strictly Scents" so we can start to group EO discussions.

Edited by EricofAZ